Thanks looo

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
sgrogan
Veteran

Thanks looo

Post by sgrogan »

I want to give a big shout out to looo for all the Conda packing work. THANK YOU :D :D :D
The work you do is amazing, one person trying to maintain a rolling release on 3 different OS's is beyond belief.

Without looo I would not have been capable to navigate the PY3/QT5 transition on Win.
Without looo we would have no OSX .dmg's
Without looo we would not have PY3/QT5 AppImages on Linux.

There is a huge advantage to the project to have an ability to test all 3 major OS's using common dependencies!

@looo, I sense growing frustration in your recent posts. I understand, as you've sort of backed into packaging, there is a feeling of obligation. Be careful that you do not lose the joy of FreeCAD. Maybe take a break from packaging and do some "fun" FreeCAD stuff.
I don't know if you saw this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p316325

Don't worry if you take a break, all the problems will still be here when you are back ;)
"fight the good fight"
Chris_G
Veteran

Re: Thanks looo

Post by Chris_G »

Thanks looo.
I, too, saw all the hard work you're doing on packaging.
( @sgrogan, you definitely deserve as many thanks, on that matter )
Especially since packaging is not the most funny task in a project, I suppose.
I hope I see Microsoft and Apple go bankrupt soon, so that your task get lighter :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks looo for doing this for everyone. I would still stick at 0.18.xxxxx without your special Mac work!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Thanks a lot for this kind words @sgrogan, @Chris_G and @chrisb. This means a lot to me. And I know all this wouldn't have been possible without all the amazing work done by you and the whole freecad-community. It's always motivating to see others trying to get things done. And it's amazing to see all the ongoing efforts.
@looo, I sense growing frustration in your recent posts. I understand, as you've sort of backed into packaging, there is a feeling of obligation. Be careful that you do not lose the joy of FreeCAD. Maybe take a break from packaging and do some "fun" FreeCAD stuff.
I don't know if you saw this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p316325
yes I am thinking about making a brake from packaging and FreeCAD for quite a while. Thanks for the link to the gear-tutorials. These are very well done! And nice to see this old stuff (gear-workbench) is still useful.
sgrogan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 pm Don't worry if you take a break, all the problems will still be here when you are back ;)
Haha. I guess the packaging-world won't stop spinning.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I agree, BTW! loooo does some major heavy lifting and on top of it I bug him a lot!
Getting FreeCAD out the door is no small task, for sure (and I'm saying that as a pedestrian :lol: )
I also want to acknowledge @sgrogan who called it out and has the social skills to do so. Kudos.
Thanks for being an awesome community, y'all. :beer:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

+1
Nice sw, nice people here. :D