Redesign the UI and UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rahmanshaber

Redesign the UI and UX

Post by rahmanshaber »

Hi. I am a student of mechanical engineering and to tell the truth i am using the Fusion 360 and Eagle for 1 year. It is in student license.
I tried the free-CAD sometimes but the learning curve it very hard i think. I saw 2-3 videos to learn using Fusion 360.
I am a UX and UI designer as my hobbies. And I think i can improve the UX and UI to be more friendly and easy for the new learner.
I have experience designing in QT designer and i am active in this project.
C Suit - [link][https://cubocore.gitlab.io/] - I design all the apps UI and UX.

I know i am a new comer and asking for a big changes. But take my word it will worth it.

I will only work in the Ui and UX and back end will be as it is.

If the maintainer is interested i can make this and shear a screenshot here.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Redesign the UI and UX

Post by Kunda1 »

Welcome to the forum, rahmanshaber :)

Yeah, feel free to send some screenshots of your ideas.

The issue here though is that we aren't for a lack of good ideas but instead missing programmers who can implement those ideas in to code. And by that I'm not implying that we don't have programmers here that lack expertise or know-how but instead the time and priority to do so.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm Welcome to the forum, rahmanshaber :)

Yeah, feel free to send some screenshots of your ideas.

The issue here though is that we aren't for a lack of good ideas but instead missing programmers who can implement those ideas in to code. And by that I'm not implying that we don't have programmers here that lack expertise or know-how but instead the time and priority to do so.
I am not doing anything on code all will be qt designer means ui files. It will also be faster then code.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:55 pm I am not doing anything on code all will be qt designer means ui files. It will also be faster then code.
Oh good, then you are familiar with Qt Designer. That's definitely useful for this endeavor.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

[redesign][https://imgur.com/a/b2cl7f8]

all the tools related to skatcher or other will be in the combobox. user can keep some of the tools beside each combobox.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm [redesign][https://imgur.com/a/b2cl7f8]
Please upload your pictures as attachments to posts, not to image hosting.

I've taken a look. Doesn't make any sense to me. It looks like you've just hidden a bunch of toolbars, and moved others. No .ui file editing can do this, yet it can all be easily done in FreeCAD GUI. You also have these weird combo boxes in place of some geometry creation buttons, they look very strange.

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm all the tools related to skatcher or other will be in the combobox.
Eemm.. isn't that the way FreeCAD's workbenches work now? I don't get it.

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm user can keep some of the tools beside each combobox.
Doable now, just create a global toolbar in Tools->Customize, and add a bunch of commands to it.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 pm
rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm [redesign][https://imgur.com/a/b2cl7f8]
Please upload your pictures as attachments to posts, not to image hosting.

I've taken a look. Doesn't make any sense to me. It looks like you've just hidden a bunch of toolbars, and moved others. No .ui file editing can do this, yet it can all be easily done in FreeCAD GUI. You also have these weird combo boxes in place of some geometry creation buttons, they look very strange.

I am not seeing that attachment option.
As they are hidden the ui looks cleaner.
Those comobobox holds all the related tools And some of them will be shown beside by defult. User can customize that.
If it can be done then great. But i am talking about the default layout/UI that FreeCAD ships.
rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm all the tools related to skatcher or other will be in the combobox.
Eemm.. isn't that the way FreeCAD's workbenches work now? I don't get it.

All the tools are now shown by default. It clutters the UI.
rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm user can keep some of the tools beside each combobox.
Doable now, just create a global toolbar in Tools->Customize, and add a bunch of commands to it.
I am saying this aging i know you can modify the Blender to look lake a media player. But it is not a Media player. I am not talking about user can make it, I want the default layout looks friendly and it gives the user a welcome to use it. Not read a long book hoe to use it.

Also i forgot to add now all the tools are shown if you can not use them or not. In my UI/UX redo it will hide all the tools if user in another task.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 pm I want the default layout looks friendly
OK.

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 pm In my UI/UX redo it will hide all the tools if user in another task.
Not sure if I understand you correctly. I interpreted it as you propose to hide the buttons instead of graying them out. Not a great idea IMO, it hurts discoverability.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 pm In my UI/UX redo it will hide all the tools if user in another task.
Not sure if I understand you correctly. I interpreted it as you propose to hide the buttons instead of graying them out. Not a great idea IMO, it hurts discoverability.
[/quote]

No. I don't think it dose.
Graying out makes the user confused, think what should i do to enable them, where app can show what user can click to go to next step.
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

Just so I'm sure I got it right:
Do you want to change to default layout (moving toolbars, etc.) or do you want a complete redesign, to example with tabs instead of the workbench combobox?