Recommendation: Mirror, MultiTransformFeature location in PartDesign

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bayesian

Recommendation: Mirror, MultiTransformFeature location in PartDesign

Post by Bayesian »

When I have a more complicated part, I tend to have different Sketch/Feature/Transform combinations in one object. Sometimes their order is interchangeable, sometimes not. Sometimes I don't add the transforms right away, but rather after I added other features.

Now, both the normal features and the transforms are appended at the current tip of the object.

I wonder if it makes sense to add the transforms after the Feature they are supposed to transform. Or is it better to require the user to change the tip before doing that?

One disadvantage would be that the downstream geometry can get broken up so that references break.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Recommendation: Mirror, MultiTransformFeature location in PartDesign

Post by chrisb »

You don't have to change Tip if you want to pattern any of the previous features in a later step.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bayesian

Post by Bayesian »

Most of the time, at least for me, I add the transform patterns at a later time, but mostly, the logical position in the step order would be after their origin feature(s).

I just wanted to raise the issue in case other people feel similarly. It's not a big deal of course!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you have only sketch based features and primitives and you followed the advice about creating stable models then you can well add pattern features in the middle of the feature list.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.