Buffalo Springfield steam road roller

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

Buffalo Springfield steam road roller

Post by un1corn »

Buffalo Springfield steam road roller Ca 1924 also known as 'Coffee pot'
I put this together around April 2019 took around 4 weeks to complete, quite an interesting model to generate.
Freecad V16 used at that time with Assembly2 WB
Plans from JDW, http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/telechargements4/
The assembly file is 17+MB and so is to large to include here.
Attachments
BS 10.JPG
BS 10.JPG (321.21 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
BS 11.JPG
BS 11.JPG (259.29 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
BS 9.JPG
BS 9.JPG (408.94 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
BS 7.JPG
BS 7.JPG (314.05 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
BS 1.JPG
BS 1.JPG (262.12 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
alberich

Re: Buffalo Springfield steam road roller

Post by alberich »

Fantastic!

Did you use an assembly WB in v0.16?
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Yes, as noted above I used Assembly 2 WB
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

un1corn wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am Buffalo Springfield steam road roller...
Thanks for sharing another of your awesome models. I know full well how much work has to go into these.
Well done.

Have you ever thought about creating all the bodies in a single file at their proper location in the assembly?
You might enjoy more the in-context "design" process. No assembly workbench required !
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Very nice model, well done and thanks for sharing!
alberich

Post by alberich »

un1corn wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:09 pm Yes, as noted above I used Assembly 2 WB
Heh. I was so fascinated by your images I missed the words. :oops:
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Have you ever thought about creating all the bodies in a single file at their proper location in the assembly?
You might enjoy more the in-context "design" process. No assembly workbench required !
I have seen that you are playing with assembly4. How does that compare to creating a model as you describe above?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

un1corn wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am Freecad V16 used at that time with Assembly2 WB
ppemawm wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:38 pm Have you ever thought about creating all the bodies in a single file at their proper location in the assembly?
mfasano wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm I have seen that you are playing with assembly4. How does that compare to creating a model as you describe above?
The Assembly4 workbench facilitates the top-down assembly design process wherein all the parts can be created in-context in the same file, typically constrained by an assembly master sketch. The parts are attached to each other using local coordinate systems so that if one must move then the rest follow. The constraints and solver in the master sketch control how the parts move in relation to each other. Top-down design works well for design of original, custom, bespoke, or prototype parts and their assembly.

AFAIK un1corn uses a bottom-up approach wherein parts are created in separate files, imported to an assembly file, and then placed and constrained in their proper position using the A2plus assembly workbench. The assembly constraints and its solver define how the parts react if one or more are moved. Bottom up assembly is useful for predefined parts, reused parts and standard parts such as fasteners, in an assembly arrangement that is known beforehand.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

ppemawm wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 pm ...
The Assembly4 workbench facilitates the top-down assembly design process wherein all the parts can be created in-context in the same file, typically constrained by an assembly master sketch. The parts are attached to each other using local coordinate systems so that if one must move then the rest follow. The constraints and solver in the master sketch control how the parts move in relation to each other. Top-down design works well for design of original, custom, bespoke, or prototype parts and their assembly.

AFAIK un1corn uses a bottom-up approach wherein parts are created in separate files, imported to an assembly file, and then placed and constrained in their proper position using the A2plus assembly workbench. The assembly constraints and its solver define how the parts react if one or more are moved. Bottom up assembly is useful for predefined parts, reused parts and standard parts such as fasteners, in an assembly arrangement that is known beforehand.
Thanks.
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

un1corn wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am Buffalo Springfield steam road roller Ca 1924 also known as 'Coffee pot'
Beautiful.

Can you show a TreeView and a dependency graph screenshot?