Wiki procedure?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Wiki procedure?

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 am ...
I would not mind jumping in. Might be a good way to learn. But again I would need more information.
I think you still haven't mentioned which pages you want to edit. The sooner you state your intentions the sooner we can get organized.

For example, I don't focus on a particular area. I make edits all over pages I consider that require improvements, but if I was going to edit something in particular, I'd probably say so.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 am Without further information on what has been finished I will have to wait.
It would help if you perform the tasks per WB and report which have been done.

I would not mind jumping in. Might be a good way to learn. But again I would need more information.
OK, will make a note of what still needs to be done and will report back. Thanks for volunteering :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 am Without further information on what has been finished I will have to wait.
It would help if you perform the tasks per WB and report which have been done.

OK, will make a note of what still needs to be done and will report back. Thanks for volunteering :D
@Roy_043 I think @vocx is right, you may want to state if you have certain pages or subjects in mind that you'd like to work on.
I've identified 2 areas in the wiki that need attention: Other potential pages that can use work:
Import_Export_Preference (missing preference pages for other core workbenches)
Import Export (make sure list is complete, perhaps this page should be merged in or transcluded in to Import_Export_Preference ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@Kunda1
Based on the status reports (see my OP) my intention was to start working on the commands of the Part WB. But soon realized that these pages were still in the process of being changed.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will then start with the Import_Export_Preference page(s).
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

hmm, the Import_Export_Preference page is also being modified 'as we speak'...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am hmm, the Import_Export_Preference page is also being modified 'as we speak'...
That shouldn't prohibit you from translating. Anyway, the page was already marked for translation so you're good to go. Any new info to this page in theory shouldn't disrupt the structure of it, especially the way the translation wiki functionality works
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am hmm, the Import_Export_Preference page is also being modified 'as we speak'...
Don't worry too much about it. Just do your thing. I just swooped in and fixed something david69 did, but it's nothing major.

It's a wiki, you cannot expect it to be completely untouched before you do a modification. As I said, if you want to do that, then create the page as you want it in a sandbox page. Then you can manually migrate your new information into the official page.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 pm That shouldn't prohibit you from translating. ...
I don't think he mentioned translating the page at all. I think he wants to re-write certain aspects of it.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Hello. We are now working to make the pages consistent, so their content can vary multiple times. I understand that this is boring for translators, but it is necessary.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Wouldn't 'sandboxing' be problematic of the original page gets changed numerous times in the interim?