Outreach opportunity: running @imakefoss Twitter account for a week

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Outreach opportunity: running @imakefoss Twitter account for a week

Post by kkremitzki »

Howdy, I've been invited to run the https://twitter.com/imakefoss account for a week next month. This is a nice outreach opportunity for FreeCAD although I'll also probably be talking a bit about Debian and KDE as well since I'm also a Debian Developer and working on getting my first patch into KDE.

Anyway, the general idea as far I see it is to try to generate engagement by running "Twitter threads", where I have several tweets over some course of time on a given topic, such as getting started using FreeCAD. I have a few ideas myself already, such as "how did I get involved with FOSS", but I would like to have at least 7 thread ideas and more wouldn't hurt.

Any suggestions/ideas?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
ezzieyguywuf

Re: Outreach opportunity: running @imakefoss Twitter account for a week

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

"If I can afford a commercial software, why should I still consider/care about FOSS?"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:50 pm Any suggestions/ideas?
* Fleshing out concepts from FreeCAD_Managing_Expectations but in regards to all FOSS (pat david did a presentation on this for gimp called "Why the GIMP Team Obviously Hates You (Pat David @SCaLE16x)"
* Spotlight the work over at hackaday using FreeCAD and KiCAD https://twitter.com/hackadayio/status/1 ... 8704777217
* How FreeCAD can be an essential part of your workflow (if you are a user/inventor/entrepreneur etc...) spotlight different users like: sliptonic, https://twitter.com/chakkreetiya, ppemawm and others
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

We often see open projects that use propriety software for the design, explaining that these projects are restrictive because of that, shows how important FC is......
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Bance wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm ... explaining that these projects are restrictive because of that, shows how important FC is......
This is a good example of using FreeCAD to design and build a complete house. It shows the coordination between the architects, civil engineers, mechanical engineers, etc.

Open Source House with Open Source CAD?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vocx wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 pm This is a good example of using FreeCAD to design and build a complete house. It shows the coordination between the architects, civil engineers, mechanical engineers, etc.

Open Source House with Open Source CAD?
Yea, a good resource to check is @thschrader history https://forum.freecadweb.org/search.php ... 6&sr=posts
Awesome FEM/FEA analyses on different FC models:

Cross Section River Profiles
UAV-tutorial / compressible-solver
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs