How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by chrisb »

pandaero wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:40 am Hi, I couldn't figure out where else to post my first post.
This is the right place for your first post. Thanks for offering a helping hand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roribez

Post by Roribez »

Hi, I'm willing to help with FreeCAD documentation.

As soon as this post is approved I will send the PM asking for an account on the Wiki.

Thanks.
RDL

Post by RDL »

Does FreeCAD have a Slack channel or an open source version of Slack, like https://about.riot.im, to discuss and approve larger documentation improvements as a group? Or maybe we could meet on Zoom or some open source version, like https://jitsi.org?
I don't like forums for higher frequency discussions where multiple people may be replying with the same information at the same time.

For example, I would like to improve the accessibility of the wiki's left hand menu by either renaming or grouping headings.

In an example, we may be able to clean up a handful of headings by removing FreeCAD from most of these headings and rewording them, yet still retain their URL, which doesn't really affect accessibility anyways unless our users are actually typing in URL's by hand:
  • Installing FreeCAD
  • The FreeCAD Document
  • Customizing FreeCAD
  • FreeCAD scripting basics
  • Translating FreeCAD
Instead of repeating the phrase "Working with", which ends up cascading or breaking what should be a single line or even single word heading into two lines, there could simply be one parent heading without a URL named "Working with:" and then the subsequent URL children Workbenches, Constraints, etc.:
  • Working with workbenches
  • Working with constraints
  • Working with meshes
  • Working with 3D parts
  • Working with robots
  • Working with macros
Same thing with Powerusers - no need to repeat.
  • Powerusers documentation
  • Powerusers hub
And Accessing the:
  • Accessing the 3D view
  • Accessing the interface
As well as Scripting:
  • FreeCAD scripting basics
  • Scripted Objects
  • Scripting examples
  • Mesh scripting
  • Part scripting
Finally, Developers is repeated, or perhaps "hub" is repeated in this context - in which case there should be Hubs: and then Developers, Powerusers, Users, etc.:
  • Developers documentation
  • Developers hub
I have many other suggestions or things that I could improve, like:
  • using GIF software to record and document FreeCAD fundamentals for the website, Youtube, wiki/manual, etc.
  • using diagrams and flowcharts to communicate workflows and roadmaps
  • workflows:
    • release, change, and discontinue
    • request, order, and notice
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

RDL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:21 pm ...
For example, I would like to improve the accessibility of the wiki's left hand menu by either renaming or grouping headings.
The left menu is called the "Sidebar", and it's only editable by people with administrator privileges.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar

I don't like the contents at all. In my opinion, it should have much more simplified links, similar to what you propose. Instead of waiting for the administrators to modify it, I have attempted to organize the topics with the bottom bars that you see in many pages; these are "navigation bars" editable by users (they are templates {{Userdocnavi}} and the like).
I have many other suggestions or things that I could improve, like:
*using GIF software to record and document FreeCAD fundamentals for the website, Youtube, wiki/manual, etc.
*using diagrams and flowcharts to communicate workflows and roadmaps
I suggest you work more on the information itself, and forget a bit about the Sidebar for now; the user pages are more important. Personally, I would avoid using too many GIFs as they make the page heavy; they should be used with care. Many pages are downloaded and used statically, so they shouldn't include GIFs.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@RDL
The proposal to alter the wiki sidebar is good but is off-topic. There is a thread discussing this already in the Wiki subforum. You can add it there.

I also encourage you to create gifs if that is something that you are good at and store them in a git repo somewhere. They may not go in the main documentation but perhaps in auxilliary documentation. If they are small enough, they may go in to the main documentation (but that is debatable).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bond12

Post by bond12 »

Hi, I want to help translate wiki articles into Russian. I want to start with the tutorials, and I need access to edit the wiki.
Angel_VV

Post by Angel_VV »

Please, I want to contribute to the Spanish translation of the documentation. May I?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bond12 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:19 pm Hi, I want to help translate wiki articles into Russian. I want to start with the tutorials, and I need access to edit the wiki.
Were you attended to?
Angel_VV wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:16 pm Please, I want to contribute to the Spanish translation of the documentation. May I?
PM with a wiki username and valid email address.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
JulienC

Post by JulienC »

Hi,
I've been playing around with Freecad for a few months and would like to improve the wiki, especially regarding wood-related workbenchs. I'll send a PM to admins, thanks in advance!
Best regards
Kamin

Post by Kamin »

Hi,

I've been working with FreeCAD for about three months. I've found a mistake in the Wiki.
So I want permission to edit the Wiki.

Thanks