Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench--Organizing the Model Tree

Post by ppemawm »

Zolko wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:56 amping...
I have a large number of body links in the Model tree and would like to organize these into several folders. All of the bodies are in the same file in the Part folder. However, when the links are in several folders the links and LCS's are no longer visible in the "Insert a link..." and the "Move/Attach a Part..." dialog panels.

Is this a bug or an oversight?
How else would you suggest organizing the body links?
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:27 pm However, when the links are in several folders the links and LCS's are no longer visible in the "Insert a link..." and the "Move/Attach a Part..." dialog panels. Is this a bug or an oversight?
It's an oversight. Could you please give more details about the organisation of your tree ?

How else would you suggest organizing the body links?
sub-assemblies ? You're probably beginning to hit the feasibility/usability of large assemblies in 1 file. Aren't you using groups of parts/links as pseudo-sub-assemblies ? I'm not sure how far down we want to go that road.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm t's an oversight. Could you please give more details about the organisation of your tree ?
Here it is so far. Such as it is. And, I have all the fasteners to add...

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm You're probably beginning to hit the feasibility/usability of large assemblies in 1 file. Aren't you using groups of parts/links as pseudo-sub-assemblies ?
Yes, I suppose I am. Yeah, why didn't I think about that when I started the project a week or so ago.
It is so convenient to have all the parts in one file and easier to distribute.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:47 pm
Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm t's an oversight. Could you please give more details about the organisation of your tree ?
Here it is so far. Such as it is. And, I have all the fasteners to add...
can you expand the groups of parts please ? There is a macro doing this in ASCII: FCtree2ascii, it's very handy to document part tree structure, may-be you could give it a try
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:49 pm can you expand the groups of parts please ?
Thank you for the macro, very handy.
Please see attached for the Parts and Model trees.

Parts_Folder.pdf
(335.79 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Model.pdf
(354.08 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22474 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a44f8ffd427fa9b23b1f00dbf62d66cd152cd774
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.6
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:15 pm Please see attached for the Parts and Model trees.
It's difficult to argue anything else than some of these things should build a sub-assembly (main-rotor, tail-rotor ...) and included as such.

What I mean is that the Parts object is already a group, therefore if we make a sub-group in this group, some people will want to have sub-sub-groups of this sub-group, and then, where to set the limit ? I think you would agree that it's pointless to try to model a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier in 1 file, that at some point you'll use sub-assemblies, so the question becomes: where to break things ?

I think that this feature to have assemblies in 1 file is a very great strength of FreeCAD, something that no other CAD system provides, and if you remember this was actually our very first exchange, and while I was sceptical about this you did convince me that it is indeed very useful and powerful. But I think this should be used for moderately complex assemblies only, those that have only 1 level of hierarchy, and if the assembly becomes more complex and more challenging, this advantage could become a hindrance. Therefore, before spending time on this (I have a day-time job also), I'd like to be very sure that there is a broad consensus that it's necessary.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:18 pm
ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:15 pm Please see attached for the Parts and Model trees.
I think that this feature to have assemblies in 1 file is a very great strength of FreeCAD, something that no other CAD system provides... But I think this should be used for moderately complex assemblies only, those that have only 1 level of hierarchy, and if the assembly becomes more complex and more challenging, this advantage could become a hindrance.
I wholeheartedly agree, especially after this exercise. 'Nuff said.
totalcad

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by totalcad »

Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:53 am FreeCAD cannot use Cyrillic letters for names
I'd like to clarify (I'm not a programmer): is it a FreeCad problem and not an Assembly4's?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:23 am
Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:53 am FreeCAD cannot use Cyrillic letters for names
I'd like to clarify (I'm not a programmer): is it a FreeCad problem and not an Assembly4's?
FreeCAD internal. Actually, I think FreeCAD can only use ASCII characters for names, because it can't use accentuated characters either: é&àöî...
throwaway1

Post by throwaway1 »

Perhaps names must be valid Python identifiers due to how they are used internally?

- https://docs.python.org/3/reference/lex ... lysis.html (section 2.3)