Serious RANT !!!! Arrrgh

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Serious RANT !!!! Arrrgh

Post by wmayer »

vocx wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 pm Moreover, Werner mentioned that some functions of OpenSCAD are used by the Mesh Workbench because they are more robust (boolean operations maybe?); so to really move the OpenSCAD workbench outside the main repository, some of these issues need to be investigated in order to keep everything running without significant downtime.
Yes, it uses OpenSCAD as back-end for boolean operations as the implemented algorithms in the Mesh module are quite unstable. So, I prefer to leave OpenSCAD in master and move it to the new layout.
This could also serve as a template for people who use their own Python workbench to follow the new layout.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

wmayer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm
vocx wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 pm Moreover, Werner mentioned that some functions of OpenSCAD are used by the Mesh Workbench because they are more robust (boolean operations maybe?); so to really move the OpenSCAD workbench outside the main repository, some of these issues need to be investigated in order to keep everything running without significant downtime.
Yes, it uses OpenSCAD as back-end for boolean operations as the implemented algorithms in the Mesh module are quite unstable. So, I prefer to leave OpenSCAD in master and move it to the new layout.
This could also serve as a template for people who use their own Python workbench to follow the new layout.
@yorik Well the version I created in my Github is in the new layout I believe, would you like me to change it back from private to public?

The way I have been testing it, was on a test version of FreeCAD, deleting directory Mod/OpenSCAD.
Then from a command line and current directory .FreeCAD doing a git clone of the repro.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm whats stopping it from being added to the addon manager?
Because you don't want two workbenches trying to handle scad and csg files.