Ticket #4111 - climb / conventional (inconsistent cut direction in 3Dsurface)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4111 - climb / conventional (inconsistent cut direction in 3Dsurface)

Post by freman »

RatonLaveur wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm I like to look at it as the concrete foundation for a new building more than a natural disaster location.
Hey, you're no fun. It was Russ who wanted to liken himself to a tropical storm, I was just playing along. ;)

Maybe a half built house, rather a half destroyed one, if you like. we've got the roof on but sadly half the tiles are pointing in the wrong direction.
Last edited by freman on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RatonLaveur

Re: Ticket #4111 - climb / conventional (inconsistent cut direction in 3Dsurface)

Post by RatonLaveur »

Yes the tiles are alternatively conventional or climbing. There a leaks in the roof. But hey...last summer at least we had good ventilation in the house :)
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Can this be confirmed as fixed? Or, is it still broken?

I would like to close the ticket if the bug is confirmed as terminated.

Russell
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for the work in this Russ.

Sliptonic just closed the bug and the direct alternance of cutting direction shown in the photos shown here and in the bug report seems to be fixed.

This leaves the problem that it does not account for which side of the tool is cutting. In the case of the demi cylindrical surface all the cuts are in the same direction, that means that one side of the cylinder is cut using climb with the other is cutting conventional.

I suspect that with the OCL based tools which have awareness of the model, it should be aware of which side of the tool is touching material.

I've found one of the files that I used last year when posting this bug. Sadly the toolcontroller code got changed and trashed the existing tools, so I can't check back on the same job, as created and archived: it throws lots of errors even with a new toolcontroller.

I have added a new job ( job004 ) with currently valid tools and created a simple, course grained 3D surface path ( Surface001 ) essentially similar to what was posted.

This confirms that all cutting paths are now in the same directions and illustrates the remaining issue that this is not consistently conv/climb cutting due to the shape. The tool offers selection of Cut Mode but implements it inconsistently and in a seemingly arbitrary direction.

I think this could be worked around in this case by adding a boundary dressup and then doing the same on the other half with opposing cut direction.

Zig-zag, spiral and circle do give consistent cutting direction. Though I'm not sure I would want any of those methods to create this path in practice.
Attachments
cylindrical-3dSurface-2020.FCStd
(67.69 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

freman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:14 pm ...
This leaves the problem that it does not account for which side of the tool is cutting. In the case of the demi cylindrical surface all the cuts are in the same direction, that means that one side of the cylinder is cut using climb with the other is cutting conventional.

I suspect that with the OCL based tools which have awareness of the model, it should be aware of which side of the tool is touching material.
Evening Sir.
Regarding the abilities and awareness of OCL, to my knowledge (not verified), OCL doesn't return a contact-angle for each of the data points. If it is found to be available, then perhaps in the future someone will apply that awareness to 3D Surface to make the smart improvement you suggest.

Thanks for your contributions, testing and feedback.
Russell
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Russ4262 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 am OCL doesn't return a contact-angle for each of the data points. If it is found to be available, then perhaps in the future someone will apply that awareness to 3D Surface to make the smart improvement you suggest.
Hi @Russ4262 is there an upstream ticket feature request for that?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 am
Russ4262 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 am OCL doesn't return a contact-angle for each of the data points. If it is found to be available, then perhaps in the future someone will apply that awareness to 3D Surface to make the smart improvement you suggest.
Hi @Russ4262 is there an upstream ticket feature request for that?
Sir,
I am not aware of one, but that is not to say it does not exist. I did not browse open tickets of any type.

Russell
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Russ4262 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:02 am I am not aware of one, but that is not to say it does not exist. I did not browse open tickets of any type.
Looks like there was one opened by @fremen/@J-Dunn
https://github.com/aewallin/opencamlib/issues/76 -> controlling cutting direction ( climb or conventional )
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

sorry , I did not see the word "upstream" when I read ..your question earlier.

Well over a year since I posted that and no response, so I would not hold my breathe on that one.
:(