New feature: ProfileEdges - Cut open edges [Merged]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Re: New feature: ProfileEdges - Cut open edges

Post by dubstar-04 »

Russ4262 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 pm Morning, Sir.
Frankly, I'm not sure. I don't have much experience with real collaboration on these projects. Feel free to submit your ideas for tackling the open edges, or even a PR for such a feature. As a novice, I yield to you all who really do know what your doing. At the moment. I am more like Mr. Edison testing iteration 116 of the light bulb, not knowing if I will make it to 1000 plus attempts before success.

Currently I'm reworking the algorithm after some more intensive testing revealed grand failures.

I appreciate the offer. I'm reconstructing the analysis strategy in an effort it better handle more complex open-edge scenarios.

I will gladly accept help. I just don't know what that is on this one. It's like my wife asking me what I'm making, and my response is, "I'm not sure" bacause I've never seen one and I'm not certain what it should look like. Lol

Sincerely,
Russell
dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 am Hi Russ,

Is there anything I can do to help with this?

Thanks,

Dan

If I can help with testing or putting together some documentation for the wiki (once you're happy with how it works) please let me know.
Russ4262 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 pm As a novice, I yield to you all who really do know what your doing.
Umm, I don't think you can hide behind the novice badge anymore. :lol:
memfis

Post by memfis »

Right now I'm using a program for work - I make a table, design a chair, a closet and just use unlocked egde - from closed in the editor I make unlocked. So I'd be happy to test it, it would be something to test.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Good Oklahoma afternoon to you all.

I just updated the PR related to this thread. This latest version handles a broader variety of use cases. Images #1 and #2 are examples of the new PR feature.

One major improvement is the handling of the ends of the paths. This new version stops the paths almost** perpendicular to the end of the edge(s) selected, eliminating the wrap around seen in earlier versions.

Another major improvement is the handling of sub-areas created by complex edge selections, creating compound paths. In image #5, the long yellow b-spline edge is selected. Due to the size of the cutter, the edge creates a compound path, creating the hole that must be processed also. This version should identify these isolations created and include them in the path generation.

And, as an unplanned bonus (really, I didn't intend or code for this), many bottom edges are accepted as inputs, not just the top edge. Nonetheless, I am still suggesting the user select top edges if available.

The more rigorous testing that failed with the earlier versions is now passing.
However, I have identified one use case that will cause additional edges to be added because of the proximity of unselected model geometry to the selected edge(s). The good news is that in this case the path generated is legitimate, and observing the model geometry. In image three the hexagonal extrusion is far enough away from the circular outer edge to allow the cutter to pass. But, if the extrusion is too close to the circular edge, the protrusion is added to the path. See images #3 and #4

** The path is allowed to pass the perpendicular point a little so as to release the corner when an adjacent edge is profiled.

Edit: The `OffsetExtra` and `UseComp` values arenot observed with open edges. I'll get this fixed in the next few days.
Update: Fixed!

May Jehovah's peace abound to every edge of the Earth.

Have fun and don't fear the EDGE. LOL

Russ
Attachments
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-B.png
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-B.png (134.03 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-A.png
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-A.png (155.38 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
No added edges because sufficient clearance
No added edges because sufficient clearance
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-D.png (142.91 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
added edges because of insufficient clearance
added edges because of insufficient clearance
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-E.png (113.35 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
sub-regions created by complex edge(s) are identified and cut
sub-regions created by complex edge(s) are identified and cut
PathProfileEdges_OpenEdges-C.png (129.32 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Last edited by Russ4262 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 pm ... Umm, I don't think you can hide behind the novice badge anymore. :lol:
Yeah, I think I just edged myself out of that one... :roll:
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Russ, this is puntastic!

may i ask the following:
- when can i expect to play with? must I wait until the next windows version compile?
- have you been able to play with lead-in and lead-out ? for such an edge OP, these are the guarantee of a smoooooth finish ;)
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

RatonLaveur wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:10 pm ... may i ask the following:
- when can i expect to play with? must I wait until the next windows version compile?
- have you been able to play with lead-in and lead-out ? for such an edge OP, these are the guarantee of a smoooooth finish ;)
Q1a: That is in the power of those with review and merge privileges on GitHub. I trust that group. They know my PR's tend to be premature with many updates along the way. Or, you may build the branch at my GH repo, Profile_Open_Edges

Q1b: See Q1a

Q2: I have no experience with lead-in/out in FC. However, Dubstar-04 has breached that topic on Gitter.im in the chatroom.
dubstar-04 wrote:ping
He might have more info for you.

'Night
Russ
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Hi All,

I have been playing with this op over the weekend and it is superb. It fills a huge gap in the Path functionality!

With regards to lead in / lead out. I have been testing with the dressup and it partially works.

Standard Profile Op:
NoLead.png
NoLead.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 986 times

Lead in Dressup applied:
Lead.png
Lead.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 986 times

For the dress up to compliment the edge profiling I think it would benefit from an 'extend' option where the start or end segment was simply extended, this should work for both linear and arc moves and it would allow the path to be extended to ensure the stock was fully cleared.

Thanks,

Dan
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Thanks for the kind answers. Dubstar yep, extension is the way. I'll look forward to the "when it's done" day :) :)
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

Since 0.19 is still a pre release, i think it should be merged as soon as possible. So more "testers" can try it out and find possible bugs.

mfg
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Wsk8 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:11 pm Since 0.19 is still a pre release, i think it should be merged as soon as possible. So more "testers" can try it out and find possible bugs.
+1
Just in case, you are fast with your repairs anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.