Is a tool 'lead in' or 'landing zone' available in the Path workbench?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PapaAtHome

Is a tool 'lead in' or 'landing zone' available in the Path workbench?

Post by PapaAtHome »

Hi,

I do not know that kind of machines you all have but mine is not perfect. There is always that little bit of 'free' movement or error. The tip of the bit that it never is at the exact location that the g-code specifies. Most of the time this is not an issue but it is when it leaves a visible mark on the end product it starts to become iritating.

The start location of a path is most susceptibleto this error. The bit is spinning round without any load on it in any direction. But when it lowers down into the material it starts to bend or moves just a fraction for whatever free movement that is available in a machine. The tip position does not only change in z direction but also an initial fraction in the x-y plane. That should not be of cause but whatever I do the stiffness of my equipment is not endless or whatever source of error that is involved. I can minimise this effect but I cannot take it away (is my feeling).

If I create a shape and then a path around it the path workbench picks a landing point for the tool to start the path. Most of the time (for whatever reason) this landing spot apears somewhere halfway on an arc or straight line of the shape. When starting to travel it moves a tiny fraction in the xy-plane and on closing the path it arives at that starting location which is not the landing location. However small this movement in the xy-plane is, it is hard to feel but most of the time quite visible.

To me this looks like an unavoidable hardware limitation but I can't find much about the subject (other than 'readjust your equipment' or 'use some sand paper').

Questions:
Can I have control on the start location of a path? (So that it lands at a corner where it has less effect.)
Is it possible to have a 'lead in' path where the bit comes in at a sloped angle?
What is the 'normal' or 'advised' approach for handling this problem?

I looked around in the path workbench but do not recognise something that I could use.
Kind regards, Andre.
herbk
Veteran

Re: Is a tool 'lead in' or 'landing zone' available in the Path workbench?

Post by herbk »

Hi Andre,
you can set a start point and you can use a Lead in/out Dressup or a Ramp Entry Dressup (i prefere the Ramp Entry...)

setting a start point is a bit laborious in my mind, because you can select "use startpoint" at the UI, but not the parameters for it...:
After closing the UI scroll down at the property view to the bottom, here you can set the values for the startpoint.

Dressups you get after a right click at the OP at the tree view or with "select the OP and click at the menue Path and here Path Dressup.
Gruß Herbert
PapaAtHome

Re: Is a tool 'lead in' or 'landing zone' available in the Path workbench?

Post by PapaAtHome »

Hi Herbert,
herbk wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:01 pm Hi Andre,
you can set a start point and you can use a Lead in/out Dressup or a Ramp Entry Dressup (i prefere the Ramp Entry...)
Found it, easy to use once you know where to look for. :) Thanks.
Kind regards, Andre.