Using the PATH WB and Adaptive processing not releasing memory. Repeating the PostProcessing into a GRBL file increases

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
janc.linders

Re: Using the PATH WB and Adaptive processing not releasing memory. Repeating the PostProcessing into a GRBL file increa

Post by janc.linders »

hi user1234. I did indeed try this before with no difference.
Just now I tried again but no luck.
Both the tick box OFF and number at 0

But thx for bringing up the idea. :P
screenshot_1.png
screenshot_1.png (119.19 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
janc.linders

Re: Using the PATH WB and Adaptive processing not releasing memory. Repeating the PostProcessing into a GRBL file increa

Post by janc.linders »

Sorry, no luck
screenshot_2.png
screenshot_2.png (110.85 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
user1234 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:58 pm And when you set undo/redo to 0? As i remember, there was a similar issue and then it was just this.
in my mind that's a workaround, but can't be accepted as a solution....
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It isn't even a workaround as it doesn't help anyway :cry:
kreso-t wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:06 pm ping
Can this come from Python? I don't think so. Or is this from an underlying library? I hope not!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
janc.linders

Post by janc.linders »

I think I'm a bit further down the line.
In the "grbl_post.py" you can find ;

# Parse the op
gcode += parse(obj)

Commenting this seems to fix the Memory issue.
Off-course no GRBL is written out to the file, but it seems somehow related to this step.

parse is an function in the same grbl_post.py
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I don't think that shows anything important. Clearly if you do not process the g-code it should not cause memory usage.

There is nothing evil about the term "parse"; it is just the name of the function that creates the g-code. It could be called anything.

I tried the same experiment with linuxcnc_post.py, and the results were similar. (Parse is also used in linuxcnc_post.py.)

Gene
janc.linders

Post by janc.linders »

I'm far from being a Python expert but do have some scripting background.
It shows that up to this point no memory is taken by the code executed earlier.
The approach I took here is to see when the memory start creeping up.
Which module/script it is happening in.

I understand that the complete g-code code (whatever the size is going to be) is generated in memory.
After is has been generated the output is saved in a file.
One would expect that after saving the file the memory could be freed.

Also weird that a during the generation of the gcode file of several Mbytes, it takes Gbytes in Memory.

I assume the different gcode post processors (grbl - linuxcnc- etc) are based on a template. So they behave the same.

I'll dig further...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

janc.linders wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:54 pm I'll dig further...
That should reveal where the culprit is. Hopefully it can be fixed and is not inside of an external library.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I think I suggested about a year ago someone should be doing leakage testing on FreeCAD ( my usage is mostly Part Design + PathWB. )

My mobo only supports 4GB of RAM and after a while my whole system gets very slow to change windows / desktops and generally gets sluggish. Looks a lot like disk trashing swap files as RAM dries up.
janc.linders

Post by janc.linders »

I've made some progress.
The attached code is modified version of the std. grbl_post.py PostProcessor. This a a very dirty quick fix. No cleanup done.
This was a trail&error approach as I'm not an Python expert.

Can someone please test this a confirm my findings. Use it at your own risk.

In my case it results in a memory saving of approx. 2GB - 0,2MB = 1,8GB per run of the PostProcessor

Exising grbl_post.py uses up to approx. 2GB on my model when PostProcessing to a GRBL file
The modified code grbljcl_post.py uses up to approx. 200MB on the same model when PostProcessing to a GRBL file.
Still 200MB to go but no clue yet.

No difference was found between the 2 output files using unix's : diff
(Except for the timestamp and the postprocessor name :-) which are in the output file)

Looking forward to response from others with the same findings.
Attachments
grbljcl_post.py
(22.78 KiB) Downloaded 52 times