Ticket #4433 - profile operation cut side reset

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Post by GeneFC »

I basically agree with herbk; I don't see a need.

I am curious, however. Why are you deleting everything? Is this due to a user mistake or is it a modeling strategy for cycling through the generation of multiple paths?

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can well think of a not too artificial use case with several pockets, where you have erroneously created a profile for one pocket while it should have been for another. It is legitimate to expect that all parameters stay the same - heights, depths, tool, direction - so why not the cutting side.
I don't see this really as an error, but it may be worth a feature request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:39 am I basically agree with herbk; I don't see a need.

I am curious, however. Why are you deleting everything? Is this due to a user mistake or is it a modeling strategy for cycling through the generation of multiple paths?

Gene
Example: There are a bunch of static rigging holes, some of which need to be milled out depending on a pallet setup. Everything is setup in a freecad document. So document is loaded, OP that drills rigging holes is selected and needed holes are selected. At this point, cut side is automatically reset to"outside".
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

these here caused several bad mills for me already.
Pretty sure this is a bug and should be fixed.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

I find this problematic, or at least the variation I have run into.

I was using contours to generate chamfer operations, which required me to disable the "use compensation", which then removes the "In/Out" field from the operations-tab. Because of the quirkiness of setting up the extra-offset, I had to select/deselect the "use compensation" button, which then resets the field.

This issue would benefit from not adding/removing the In/Out variable, depending on the "Use compensation" checkbox.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

And, I noticed CW/CCW seemed wrong while milling yesterday, and so following up on it, I notice that it's inverted if "Use Compensation is deselected".
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4433 - profile operation cut side reset

Post by Kunda1 »

Mod Edit: Added ticket number to thread title
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
xf3qc

Re: Ticket #4433 - profile operation cut side reset

Post by xf3qc »

:D
Thanks a bunch.