Path for decorative CAM

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Path for decorative CAM

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am I always found it quite normal that depth had to be set manually, because it is nowhere found in the model.
If I use the attachment mode and map a sketch or shapestring to a model face, Engrave should be able to use attached placement to derive z depth. It doesn't. That's something I think we can improve.
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:31 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am I always found it quite normal that depth had to be set manually, because it is nowhere found in the model.
If I use the attachment mode and map a sketch or shapestring to a model face, Engrave should be able to use attached placement to derive z depth. It doesn't. That's something I think we can improve.
That's a good idea 8-)
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

F-engrave may be able to do this drawing but not definitely, there are a lot of inside/outside decisions involved. Anyway doing this in other software wasn't your goal.

I've been playing with the idea of using Path v-carve on perimiters that seems possible with simple paths but will likely break with a high number of nodes. The idea is to inset/offset the original paths in inkscape to make faces in the draft workbench. In this screen capture there are 2 faces made in this way and they are v-carvable (hey spell check cut me some slack). This is not the solution to your project but I hope it helps in some small way.
Attachments
triangle_faces_crop.jpeg
triangle_faces_crop.jpeg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

jbraun wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:19 pm F-engrave may be able to do this drawing but not definitely, there are a lot of inside/outside decisions involved. Anyway doing this in other software wasn't your goal.
Thank you, that looks interesting. I kind of get the feeling I am trying to get FreeCAD to do something no one else uses it for and wonder if I am making a mistake there or if it is useful anyway.

I think I've now got on top of how to achieve things in FreeCAD and I have put together a more simple version which I can make a a keyring to test things out. I'll try and cut it tomorrow.
monkey-keyring.png
monkey-keyring.png (32.03 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Entirely unrelated but how do I get rid of the annoying grid which seems to come from the draft workbench :?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

EskiBrew wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:11 pm Entirely unrelated but how do I get rid of the annoying grid which seems to come from the draft workbench :?
Switch to Draft workbench and toggle it off. The visibility handling of that grid is unfortunantly so unpleasant for me that I switched it completely off in the Draft preferences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

As your design started in Inkscape, have you tried Path Simplify? Using this multiple times can vastly reduce the number of "points" along the design perimeter without significantly affecting the shape. This might reduce the calculations/delay you noticed. I say might as this has worked well for me, but with different design process (ie not FreeCAD). It might (did for me) also significantly reduce the size of your gcode and time job takes to run.
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm Switch to Draft workbench and toggle it off. The visibility handling of that grid is unfortunantly so unpleasant for me that I switched it completely off in the Draft preferences.
Thanks, I've disabled it as well now 8-)

spanner888 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 pm As your design started in Inkscape, have you tried Path Simplify? Using this multiple times can vastly reduce the number of "points" along the design perimeter without significantly affecting the shape. This might reduce the calculations/delay you noticed. I say might as this has worked well for me, but with different design process (ie not FreeCAD). It might (did for me) also significantly reduce the size of your gcode and time job takes to run.
Ah, thanks for the tip - no, I had not done that - I will try it out 8-)
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

It came out ok. Need to adjust some feeds and speeds but not bad for a first cut.
IMG_20201202_140105.jpg
IMG_20201202_140105.jpg (269.55 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. :D
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Sir, thanks! That was an interesting little problem and another good demonstration that Path is great :) i do love seeing other peoples real creations! (Also it's cute).