Ubuntu Repository

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

NormandC
Veteran

Re: Ubuntu Repository

Post by NormandC »

Hey, I did say half a mind, didn't I? ;) I know the current package works, it's just I should have named it calculix-ccx which would have been more obvious than just ccx.
sgrogan wrote:Your build supports multi-threading (I just got it working reliably for me) I not sure if the others do.
I didn't know that. After all I just repackaged cblt2l's Debian package almost as is (just edited the changelog file).
sgrogan wrote:Could you suggest which to test? Are they exact copies? (Pardon my linux ignorance)
The calculix packages in the CAE Team are simple copies of the ones in gabriel1984sibiu's "Aplicatii3" PPA. How I know this: on the CAE Team PPA page, click on the "View package details" link at the right, then expand one of the calculix-ccx packages. It says so in the "Publishing details".

The binary packages are listed a little below under "Package files". The .dsc file is a PGP-signed text file. The .tar.gz file contains the source, and one of the .deb files is the one you'll want to install, depending on your architecture (amd64 for 64-Bit OS and i386 for 32-Bit). You can download the packages manually instead of adding the PPA to your software sources.

Just remember to download the right package for your Ubuntu version; if it's 14.04 64-Bit, then download "calculix-ccx_2.7-0~1+6~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb". Debian packages are built from system libraries, which tend to change between Ubuntu releases. So in most cases, a package built for a specific Ubuntu release won't be compatible with another: the 14.04 package will not be compatible with Ubuntu 12.04, 14.10 or 15.04.

Once you've downloaded the .deb package, you can double-click on it and this will open the Ubuntu Software Center, which will allow you to install it; or you can install it from the terminal using dpkg (which I don't use). I usually install downloaded deb packages with the GDebi utility (not installed by default). Note, I'm pretty sure you will have to uninstall my ccx package because it will conflict with their calculix-ccx.
sgrogan wrote:I don't know that you have to copy the build at all, we can point the user to their PPA
It's best to copy a package to our own PPA, because it means the user is not required to add a secondary PPA to their software sources. When I first made OCE packages for the Daily Builds PPA, I created a separate PPA (OCE Releases), but I quickly found it was a hassle for users. I had added it as a PPA dependency to the Daily Builds, which meant that the freecad packages were built with my OCE packages; but when the switch was made, it broke the updates for those users who weren't aware of the change; they still had the official Ubuntu repo older OCE packages, which were conflicting with the freecad packages.

Another reason to copy packages, is you never know if the PPA owner will decide to delete packages or even the whole PPA repo.
sgrogan wrote:(otherwise you may inherit it)
Not sure what you meant, but you cannot inherit somebody else's PPA.
sgrogan wrote:Thank You for expending the massive effort to make FEM more easily functional on Ubuntu!
Thanks, but you should thank cblt2l for the original Debian package and wmayer for figuring out what was needed regarding netgen.
sgrogan wrote:BTW: The Win cygwin build bundled with 0.15 release is 2.6.x
So the Calculix version with the Windows install is even older...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks NormandC for the informative answers!

For the Calculix stuff I need to be carefule. I'm not used to multiple installations on Linux. I will study your instructions.
NormandC wrote: It's best to copy a package to our own PPA
I understand now. By "inheriting" I meant you would be be maintaining a package on the FreeCAD PPA. Your OCE example is exactly what I am refering to.
NormandC wrote:Thank You for expending the massive effort to make FEM more easily functional on Ubuntu!
By this I meant at the last minute you compiled netgen against OCE 0.17 and packaged it for 0.15 w/Calculix support.
NormandC wrote: So the Calculix version with the Windows install is even older...
Yes
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Okay, for anyone interested, I've finally uploaded calculix (ccx) packages for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 15.04. You need to install the package named "ccx" to have Calculix work in the FEM workbench.

They are in both PPA repos, Stable Releases and Daily Builds.
studiocsi

Post by studiocsi »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.4860 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 225fce96044e22568206a7fea194d16006cc9c0d
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3

This version crashes (sementation fault) only on active fem workbench. Is there anyone who can suggest a solution?
Thank you
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This version crashes (sementation fault) only on active fem workbench. Is there anyone who can suggest a solution?
Do you compile FreeCAD yourself?
studiocsi

Post by studiocsi »

No, it was a pre-built package binary from ppa repository. Now i've got the sources and compile by myself and it works.
Tkank you.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

No, it was a pre-built package binary from ppa repository.
That's strange. This actually means that FreeCAD is built with netgen support but netgen is linked against a different OpenCascade version than FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FYI, I just found that CalculiX-CrunchiX (the solver) is a prospective package in Debian, someone is working on it (but there is not much activity so far): https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=767617