new workbench for structural engineers

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

ebrahim raeyat

new workbench for structural engineers

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Hello, as discuss here, i think we must create new WB that inherit some property from FEM and BIM WB to suite for structural engineering.
for example in structural analysis we assume Z direction to be gravity load, only 1D and 2D elements and so on.

I think we must create new objects that inherits some Arch objects. like line for 1D element and add some properties to it, like loads, section, ends release and so on. how do you think about it?

@bernd
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: new workbench for structural engineers

Post by Kunda1 »

bernd wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 am
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:51 am @bernd, i think if we create another workbench that specially suite for structural engineering is useful, because FEM workbench is very general workbench. like csiamerican products sap2000 and etabs. sap2000 is a general FEM program, while etabs is suite specifically for structural engineering. in real word we only need beam-column and shell element and later for nonlinear analysis some additional element that thos also has 1D or 2D dimensions. what is your opinion?
I am totally with you. Something between Arch (BIM) and FEM. Something which uses the Arch structural nodes and makes in put of loads an load combinations very easy. There is just one little problem with this. TIME ... I have this in mind for years, but never started to do some serious code in this regard.
I think @bernd is with you on this one :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

excellent idea. check this topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17909 The nodes exist already.
EkaitzEsteban

Post by EkaitzEsteban »

Dear everyone,

Are you looking for a workbench that looks like CypeCAD? Maybe you can take some ideas...

http://cypecad.cype.es/

best regards,
Ekaitz.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

EkaitzEsteban wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:40 am Dear everyone,

Are you looking for a workbench that looks like CypeCAD? Maybe you can take some ideas...

http://cypecad.cype.es/

best regards,
Ekaitz.
yes, it is very complete software, i mean a simpler like CSI ETABS.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

biggest difference from this new workbench to FEM would be the attribute definition. In this new work bench the attributes would be defined in the objects. For example a column would know its cross section. In FEM it is the other way around. In FEM a cross section object knows his members. the output of this new workbench would be a FreeCAD FEM analysis with FEM objects.

The big question is, should this happen directly inside the Arch objects, on the Arch structure axis, or should there be some in between geometric object may be parametrically connected to the Arch object.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 am biggest difference from this new workbench to FEM would be the attribute definition. In this new work bench the attributes would be defined in the objects. For example a column would know its cross section. In FEM it is the other way around. In FEM a cross section object knows his members. the output of this new workbench would be a FreeCAD FEM analysis with FEM objects.

The big question is, should this happen directly inside the Arch objects, on the Arch structure axis, or should there be some in between geometric object may be parametrically connected to the Arch object.
exactly this is only furthermore properties for Arch objects. for this, I think we must inherit Arch objects. I will try it for the 1D element soon.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have a request regarding the Structural WB and FEM.

I think that both of you have a building kind of background. What i want to propose is a more general situation.
A structure is basically everywhere: It could be a building; a bridge; a machine frame; etc.
I assume that the different appllications have different workflows. A machineframe is mostly designed in 3D(the beams are the exact shape they are for production) also because all the parts that have to fit with this.
For buildings or briges probably 1D or both.
I think it would be great if FreeCAD has some methods for creating structures (3d sketches - would be great). preferable also with (optional) 3D shapes since cross section is known.
And for FEM i would say that it can read the crossection of a object. If a object don't have a crossection creating one afterwards.
This because a structural WB in the way you are looking to it is just a FEM with a slightly different workflow.
I would say make a double workflow for FEM (pre and post creation of cross sections) and create a structure WB.

What in my opinion the most difficult part could be of the structure WB is that it should work for both Part design and arch WB sinceit could be the base of both probably.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:19 am related https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47506
thanks bernd, i will have a look as soon as possible.