rename Elmer Equation Fluxsolver to Flux

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

rename Elmer Equation Fluxsolver to Flux

Post by bernd »

For a better structure it would makes sense to rename the Elmer Equation Fluxsolver to Flux since it is a equation and not a solver. Even if it might be called Fluxsolver in Elmer. All Elmer equation objects do not end with solver.

See https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... fluxsolver

Would be good if someone could give it a try or if you guys share your opinion.

HoWil wrote: ping
RatonLaveur wrote: ping
raback wrote: ping
RatonLaveur

Re: rename Elmer Equation Fluxsolver to Flux

Post by RatonLaveur »

I think it's a good idea. Homogenization of the small things is key to guide the bigger things ! :)
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

For me this is OK.

A related question @raback: is the result of the flux-solver used in combination with the electrostatic equation the same as i switch on ''Calculate Electric Flux" directly in the electrostatic equation?
"Calculate Electric Flux = False ! (default True)" is used in the "Equation = Stat Elec Solver" e.g. on page 67 in http://ftp.funet.fi/index/elmer/doc/old ... orials.pdf
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

BTW: the menue entry for Equation Heat was wrong too. Introduced in Dezember 2017. I wonder noone claimed about ... git commit 0c1f99a30cf3 fixes this.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

This is great! Thanks!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

git commit 9bfd947886d9 BTW: old files should still load. If you guys have any problems drop a post here.
raback

Post by raback »

HoWil wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:26 pm For me this is OK.

A related question @raback: is the result of the flux-solver used in combination with the electrostatic equation the same as i switch on ''Calculate Electric Flux" directly in the electrostatic equation?
"Calculate Electric Flux = False ! (default True)" is used in the "Equation = Stat Elec Solver" e.g. on page 67 in http://ftp.funet.fi/index/elmer/doc/old ... orials.pdf
FluxSolver takes any scalar field and computes a gradient or flux on it using the Galerkin (or DG) method. I think the "Calculate Electric Flux" just averages fluxes on nodes between the elements that share them. So there could be small difference.

Basically we would nowadays probably go with post processing that utilizes the FEM machinery. Sometimes this means having a separate solver for it. Like the AV Solver (using Hcurl basis for magnetic vector potential) has a separate postprocessing solver.

-Peter