A suggestion for a new FEM mesh GMsh icon

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: A suggestion for a new FEM mesh GMsh icon

Post by jmaustpc »

bernd wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:45 pm Some history might be helpful:
Thanks, Bernd. It helps. :) I had been confused, I have the history of the two back to front. I made the icon for Keith which made me think perhaps it could be good for FEM, but don't worry if it is not needed. Also feel free to contact me and ask if you want something different or something else.

By the way I followed the links in your code and read wikipedia ... wow! Some intellectually intense stuff! My children think it is evidence that you are more intelligent and educated than I, which is true of course, so I went out into the paddock to see Charlie, my smelly pet billy goat, he thinks I am far more intelligent than you because I know where to get his treats like hay, milk thistle, bread and especially half stale chocolate cake and slightly over cooked home made biscuits! So the life lesson is if you want an undeserved complement, just ask someone for their opinion who is in the habit of urinating on his legs in order to make him stink really bad, in an attempt to attract his girl friend! :lol:

This is where I got to with a NetGen icon for FreeCAD. I will post it here in case it is ever useful. It is based on their logo, but since its intended as only an icon it is less detailed. It is not perfect but it is where I have go to so far.
FEM_NetGen_Icon_.svg
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
At 64px
FEM_NetGen_Icon_64px.png
FEM_NetGen_Icon_64px.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
at 32 px
FEM_NetGen_Icon_32px.png
FEM_NetGen_Icon_32px.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
and at the most commonly used resolution/size, 22 px
FEM_NetGen_Icon_22px.png
FEM_NetGen_Icon_22px.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
RatonLaveur wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 pm type popup saying "Mesh with gmsh" or "Mesh with Netgen" the
If we had a fixed number of options like different mesh generators for example, in other areas of FreeCAD we have an icon on the tool bar with a drop down, the default is shown only before the drop is activated then which ever was last used stays on top.

For example have a look at
1) PartDesign additive or subtractive solids,
2) sketcher insert a circle from either Centre and point or 3 points on circumference
3) Sketch Radius constraint or Diameter Constraint
etc.

But as you say, there could; be other ways more useful to the specific workflow requirements of FEM.

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

and this is the bitmap logo (original in Gimp format) from Netgen, from their Github repo...
https://github.com/NGSolve/ngsolve/blob ... l-big2.png
logo-col-big2.png
logo-col-big2.png (70.95 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I get friendly with the idea of the pull down menue. With this we could use the icon of netgen an gmsh directly. How about this?

BTW: Are we allowed to use their icons in FreeCAD?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

bernd wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am I get friendly with the idea of the pull down menue.
This would also apply for solvers (cxx, Elmer, z88,..).
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

bernd wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am I get friendly with the idea of the pull down menue. With this we could use the icon of netgen an gmsh directly. How about this?
DO you mean like Sketcher Create Circle (two type either centre and point on edge the default or optionally three points on edge) whichever you select then stays on top, so whichever you last used will be accessible with one click? Also Sketcher radius or diameter constraint. PartDesign additive or subtractive solids, the last solid used it move to the top. Or just a simple drop down?
bernd wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am BTW: Are we allowed to use their icons in FreeCAD?

That is a good question.

I did look earlier, I think from memory they are both LGPL or GPL, right? If so we can just use their icon. But in both cases I created an SVG icon from scratch completely as my own work inspired by their logos. As far as I could see neither offer an icon or at least not an SVG only a bitmap.

My Gmsh is very similar as their log is much simpler, but my netgen is quite a bit different so Gmsh might be more considered a copy where as Netgen might be more seen as an "inspired by".

In terms of code GPL basically means that you can use or even modify someone else's GPL code for your own use, you only have to keep your modification under the GPL licence if you further distribute your code. Since we are distributing FreeCAD we have to keep their files that we modify under the same licence they used either GPL or LGPL, unless of course we get their permission to do differently. I is possible that their Logos files might be under a different licence to their actual code.

But since my files are completely new, created by me from scratch, just looking at their Logos in a web browser visually, I am not sure if they are really a derivative work or not.

In either case, if we agree my final icon is of adequate quality I will donate them to their respective projects, assuming they will accept them, under an appropriate licence so we can use them in FreeCAD. Honestly I expect that both those projects would be delighted to be used in FreeCAD, so I expect we would get a good reception if I give them my work.

Are you bernd a member of either project? Or is anyone else here? If not I suppose I might have to join up to donate these icons.

Jim
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

No I am not a member of any of the two projects. Great, if explizit allow us to use the icon it would be cool!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

bernd wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 pm No I am not a member of any of the two projects. Great, if explizit allow us to use the icon it would be cool!
Okay, I will fix the icons up a bit and report back.

If anyone else here is a member of either Gmsh or Netgen, please let me know,
thanks
Jim
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

The way this is going is interesting. The drop-down menu on Solvers and on Mesh would make a lot of sense regarding readability. Even new users would understand a bit a better. Depending, this could even be applied to equations and equations-specific BCs. Ultimately it could look squeaky clean like CfdOF. Of course there's such a thing as overdoing it, and maybe there is value to starting small :)
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

bernd wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am I get friendly with the idea of the pull down menue. With this we could use the icon of netgen an gmsh directly.
No more pull down menu please.

The thing in FC i hate most is the wb pull down menu. There are hundreds to choose and you have to change it very often.

For this mesher selection, why not set it in Edit/Preferences/Fea/WhateverSetting. Set it once and never look back.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I am with you on the equations but not on the bcs.

Anyone volunteer to help with the implementation? It is C++ but very very easy to understand, even if one does not know C++. The task itself is smal to. I would help in going on track.