FreeCAD FEM WB vs others

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

jtm2020hyo

FreeCAD FEM WB vs others

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I wish to do a test in FEM WB for my first project and I want to know what differences with other Structural Analysis software or if not possible use FEM WB for this purpose (as other users mentioned than FEM WB can not be used for a Complete Structural Analysis).

something like:
  • FEM WB vs Robot Structural Analysis
    FEM WB vs SAP2000
    FEM WB vs others Structural Analysis Software
... and I wish to know if I can do a structural analysis
bernd
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD FEM WB vs others

Post by bernd »

Depends what is a "Complete Structural Analysis" for you and what object would you like to make a Complete Structural Analysis for.

I have used and seen FreeCAD FEM for a lot of Complete Structural Analysis of steel connections and small steel structures but I have not seen FreeCAD FEM Complete Structural Analysis of complex concrete buildings.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=10

Code: Select all

@thschrader

My opinion: it is dangerous to rely on the FEM-run alone.
At the moment I have a real-life project (calculating the stresses in an old concrete frame).
The controlling-engineer accepts my FreeCAD-FEM calculation, but only as a first guess.
Because you cant simulate the cracking in the tension zone. And I think he is right… 
actually, I need 3 cases:

calculate 100% timber structure. (new, old, and repaired)
calculate 100% reinforced concrete structure (new, old, and repaired)
calculate mix between timber, steel, and reinforced concrete structure (new, old, and repaired)

I want to know if possible that FEM can do this work because my main doubt is how can I do a reinforced concrete analysis or repaired structure if FEM just can analyze one unique element each time, at least that happed in my last test .

... and I want to know if possible how can I do automatic rebar design or automatic connections.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I think @thschrader was referring to this:

phpBB [video]
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:39 pm I wish to do a test in FEM WB for my first project and I want to know what differences with other Structural Analysis software or if not possible use FEM WB for this purpose (as other users mentioned than FEM WB can not be used for a Complete Structural Analysis).

something like:
  • FEM WB vs Robot Structural Analysis
    FEM WB vs SAP2000
    FEM WB vs others Structural Analysis Software
... and I wish to know if I can do a structural analysis
Here is a link by Joko engineering - a simple comparison between FreeCAD FEM and Solidworks FEA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWtMJagDoRk

Regarding your desire to do a complete structural analysis - I think it was tschrader that put me on to this "Windows only" programme.
https://www.gerritwolsink.nl/

I have a linux system but thought it merited me creating a Virtual Windows machine to run it because I was so impressed with it. I also discovered that Gerrit its creator is a very friendly and helpful man.

I used the Framework 3D programme to analyse a complex steel space truss. It produced almost identical results to two commercial products. It is a bit of a learning curve but it could just be what you need.
zohir

Post by zohir »

I think you ask for a dynamic and earthquake analysis ...code_aster do this analyse you can see..this.
https://code-aster.it/tutorial/