Delete me

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Frank Sonne

Delete me

Post by Frank Sonne »

Please delete this thread...
Last edited by Frank Sonne on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Exporting part

Post by wmayer »

i am having some difficulties, exporting in CORRECT quality from FreeCAD. I have set up my FreeCAD so that Maximum deviation in Parts-Design, Shape View is set to 0.01%. It slows everything down a lot
For displaying a shape it gets approximated with a set of triangles and line segments but the part model itself is still mathematically correctly described.
So, if you reduce the deviation it creates a lot more triangles and line segments so that it looks nicer but it takes much more memory and needs more time to render them. However, the part model is completely independent of the visual representation and is still mathematical correct.
The Obj file export seems to be in a state of bliss, if i do not do the deviation adjustment, i can still increase the Obj quality, by exporting to STL, and then export to Obj, the Quality goes higher than direct Obj export. But still not full 0.01% but still better than direct Obj export.
The OBJ format describes a mesh, i.e. a set of triangles and this per se can never 100% perfectly describe the mathematical model. It's just an approximation --like for the rendering you can reduce the deviation to produce more triangles but it still doesn't 100% correctly describe the model.
Frank Sonne

Re: Exporting part

Post by Frank Sonne »

REMOVED - I Don't care anymore, and i have removed the way you could workaround the problem.
Last edited by Frank Sonne on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.