Ellipse -> extrude -> cut -> fuse surface artifacts

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Aurawin

Ellipse -> extrude -> cut -> fuse surface artifacts

Post by Aurawin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm 3d printing a kind of cover that is comprised of an outer ellipse extruded which has an inner ellipse extruded as a cutout giving the cover thickness of about 1mm. It has other cuts as well.

The problem fuse operation of all these objects yields a surface that has artifacts consistently produced on the surface. I've run the cut on just the outer ellipse and the resulting object looks great (smooth from top-down). However, once I include necessary cuts and fuse with other items the outer shell degrades into visible polygons.

The polygons make for an unprintable part. I've noticed the same problem with the ellipsoid on another project in the past and had to switch my aesthetics to replace the ellipsoid with 3 cylinders which resulting in a pure surface.

I've exhausted all the tessellation tweaks (refine, deflection, etc) and even the face makers. Is this a known issue?
Attachments
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 286 times
chrisb

Re: Ellipse -> extrude -> cut -> fuse surface artifacts

Post by chrisb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Can you upload the file?
Aurawin

Re: Ellipse -> extrude -> cut -> fuse surface artifacts

Post by Aurawin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:31 pm

After noticing that the upper plate caused the fused part to have no artifacts in that region - I added another shape with the area in the fused part that has serious artifacts and discovered that I can indeed clear up the fused surface,

Included is an image illustrating the phenomena.
Attachments
Cover 2.jpg
Cover 2.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 277 times