Missing polar pattern options

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yoshimitsuspeed

Missing polar pattern options

Post by yoshimitsuspeed »

In the Wiki it says there should be options to pick the plane to be the axis of rotation. Is this just something that hasn't actually been implemented yet?
My friend wanted me to build a dancing cage for a burlesque show and I thought I'd just draw up some ideas real quick but again it turned into me not being able to figure out how to do it.
I just want pad to pattern around the hoops.
Here it says I should be able to choose the axis of rotation.
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... larPattern

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2136 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 2e31e177a8b03d9a58b4a35ddf19904e4dfc56bc
Python version: 2.7.4
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
Attachments
Cage.FCStd
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Missing polar pattern options

Post by NormandC »

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:In the Wiki it says there should be options to pick the plane to be the axis of rotation. Is this just something that hasn't actually been implemented yet?
I'm guessing I cannot access the wiki since it's between 0:00-5:00 Germany time (I've given up trying it's too frustrating), but from memory this was the former way of working. Before the release it was changed, and the wiki has not been updated. So the pattern options have been "dumbed down", I don't remember exactly the reason but it's documented in a topic somewhere.

In any case you cannot pattern a pad that is a base feature. It needs to be built upon a previous feature. So Sketch002 needs to be mapped either to Revolution or to Revolution001. For a hint on how to accomplish that see this topic: Overcoming PartDesign's "planar face support" limitation

Another quicker option is to use the Draft Array tool. Then fuse everything with Part Fuse.