Dovetail joint generator

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
steelman

Dovetail joint generator

Post by steelman »

Hi.

I've been into woodworking for some time as well as into freecad (mostly as a user). For the past couple of days I've been working on a simple design using dovetail joint. I found one thread and I can model the joint by hand (drawing manually a sketch for each board).

What I would like to develop is a tool like bevel or chamfer in the Part Design Workbench to do it automatically after entering several parameters. It should be similar to bevel/chamfer in that way, that it its permanently assigned to a particular surface (an end of a board) and gets automatically transformed each time the dimensions of the surface (the board) change.

I know Python, but I know almost nothing about FreeCAD APIs. Is it possible to develop an add-on for an existing workbench or do you think (at least for PoC) a Dovetail Workbench is more appropriate approach? Is there a piece of code I could use as a reference?

P.S. I would like to develop for 0.18 because this is the I am using on Debian 10.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Dovetail joint generator

Post by chrisb »

I would like to see such thing.
You should develop for 0.19. It's the development version which will be the next official stable. Right now it seems from a user's point of view to be at least as stable as 0.18.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Dovetail joint generator

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved thread to Open Discussions from 'Part Design Module development'
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs