[Feature Request] Double click on Plane confirms feature selection for sketch

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
marthinwurer

[Feature Request] Double click on Plane confirms feature selection for sketch

Post by marthinwurer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 am

Current Behavior:

Go to part design workbench
Click on "Create a New Sketch"
Double click on the XY_Plane Base Plane feature

Nothing happens

Desired behavior:
Double click on the XY_Plane Base Plane feature
The same effect as selecting the XY_Plane Base Plane feature, then clicking the OK button in the task pane

Discussion:
This seems like a straightforward quality of life change. It's just way easier to double click on something than to single-click, mouse over to another button, then click it. Letting that menu option in the task pane be double-clickable would also be nice. Having the initial view be isometric to the planes so that all of them are visible would also be an improvement, so then you wouldn't have to change the view to see the side-on ones. Making the clickable area on the displayed planes would also help.
chrisb

Re: [Feature Request] Double click on Plane confirms feature selection for sketch

Post by chrisb » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 am

I understand and would support most of these (I didn't understand "Letting that menu option in the task pane be double-clickable").

But I would rather like to see for sketches the usual attachment panel as for other primitives.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC

Re: [Feature Request] Double click on Plane confirms feature selection for sketch

Post by GeneFC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:59 pm

marthinwurer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 am
Discussion:
This seems like a straightforward quality of life change. It's just way easier to double click on something than to single-click, mouse over to another button, then click it. Letting that menu option in the task pane be double-clickable would also be nice. Having the initial view be isometric to the planes so that all of them are visible would also be an improvement, so then you wouldn't have to change the view to see the side-on ones. Making the clickable area on the displayed planes would also help.
The initial view was isometric until a few months ago (or perhaps a year). Someone else complained and changed it to the current appearance. :lol:

The double click would be slightly useful. On the other hand it takes a fraction of a second to slide the cursor up to select the "OK". Unless you are making a new sketch every minute or so, this seems like a low priority.

Gene
marthinwurer

Post by marthinwurer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:41 pm

GeneFC wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:59 pm
The initial view was isometric until a few months ago (or perhaps a year). Someone else complained and changed it to the current appearance. :lol:

The double click would be slightly useful. On the other hand it takes a fraction of a second to slide the cursor up to select the "OK". Unless you are making a new sketch every minute or so, this seems like a low priority.

Gene
I'm pretty sure that most commercial CAD offerings use the isometric view, and I trust that they've done the market research for usability. It works better for being able to view your options. If people really want a top-down default, then a configuration option seems in order.

It's less of a slide the cursor up as a "select plane in main window, spend a fraction of a second moving the cursor back to the task window, then spend another fraction fine-tuning to the OK button." This is basically three extra actions, because a double-click is a single action in most people's muscle memory at this point. Every extra action is a chance for human fallibility to creep in, as any of us who have tripped on flat ground have figured out.
chrisb wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 am
I understand and would support most of these (I didn't understand "Letting that menu option in the task pane be double-clickable").

But I would rather like to see for sketches the usual attachment panel as for other primitives.
So, in my initial write-up I was talking about selecting the plane in the main graphical window, not selecting it in the task pane. I'm unsure of what your second point refers to.
JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:22 am

As a new FreeCAD user working his way through @chrisb’s Sketcher Tutorial, I’m making LOTS of new sketches. I would appreciate this added feature. Also, I’m primarily a trackpad user, and some of these mouse-type actions are more cumbersome than with a mouse, making the value greater to a trackpad user.

Thanks for the consideration,

John