Hole dialog discussion

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Hole dialog discussion

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:00 pm I feel it is rather worthless at the moment...
Chin up 8-) I think you pushed the vertices forward to what people requested here:

1. The vertices should look different than the origin and endpoints of e.g. lines to be able to distinguish them better.
2. Use a vertex in a sketch to define the position for a hole instead of a circle (circle diameter is not necessary and even confusing since the hole dialog will set norm-conform diameters.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

One small improvement that I can suggest is that when you make a hole with an angled drill bit, more often than not, you're interested in the straight part of the hole, not the total depth until the point of the cone. Sure, if you're dealing with a CNC machine, you need to know the depth the drill needs to go in, so that's useful in it's own way too. The improvement I'm suggesting is having a checkbox somewhere that makes it so the depth specified goes down to the base of the cone (just as if you were using a flat drill bit), and then the cone is added

I've attached a PDF from TechDraw to illustrate this. One possible implementation would be to add a new option in depth (right now, it's either Dimension or Through all, new one might be called "Depth to base of the cone") and another would be to have a checkbox next to the drill angle that says "Depth goes to the base of the cone" (default off)

If you guys think this is better handled in a separate thread, I will spin it off to a new thread (or a mod can do it for me, if they so believe)

(EDIT: there was a repeated word in the PDF rich text part, it's been corrected, doesn't really change anything)
Attachments
hole_enhancement.pdf
(229.69 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You mean a third option to "Drill point type", which adds the drill tip to the measure?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:29 am You mean athird option to "Drill point type", which adds the drill tip to the measure?
That's an option, but I would rather have a checkbox for the angled drill point type that makes it so the generated cone is added to the depth, leaving traight part to have the dimension set before. That checkbox doesn't become active unless you use an angled drill point type, but there's no real need to have a different drill point here IMHO

Again, the UI suggestions I provided are that, suggestions. I might be missing a totally obvious and much more intuitive solution. The important thing is that it becomes easier to have the hole dialog generate the hole with a controlled depth for the non-conical part.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

ToniTen wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am One small improvement that I can suggest is that when you make a hole with an angled drill bit, more often than not, you're interested in the straight part of the hole, not the total depth until the point of the cone.
I made already a PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4134 that adds this feature. It was also requested some time ago via bug report: issue #3818
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

abdullah wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm ...
Does the FC files have a sketcher verion numer or FC version or something similar? If yes... I think it should be douable to change all poins before a certain version become "blue" points and all points after that depending on the user input.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:47 pm
abdullah wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm ...
Does the FC files have a sketcher verion numer or FC version or something similar? If yes... I think it should be douable to change all poins before a certain version become "blue" points and all points after that depending on the user input.
git commit 919196fb9a200395b6dbd4777a3371e6c9383866
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Thanks Almost as fast as Werner :D
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

For information:
This PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4281
fixes some hole feature issues and this way implemented the UTS clearance hole diameter norm ASME B18.2.8. This gives us the exactly normed values instead of ones we calculated on our own as rule of thumb.