Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cadcam

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by cadcam »

@realthunder

Hopefully a little clarification

At this point I had been thinking about an image of a thread, ideally
scalable in diameter/pitch derived from the hole definition. Aids understanding of
model especially when discussing with collegagues/clients.

However with the advances in FC it might be nice to ensure that in the future

a) The thread image colour might follow the individual part colour/material.
[Also Linked to 3D represenations in TechDraw]

b) Works with any assembly collision detector to nicely show incorrect
male/female definitions - Potentially highlighting incorrect dia/pitch/depth
by colour/pattern. [Ideally an option, as with other collisions, to
different coloured representations in 2D TechDraw views]

c) Combine with an automatic thread forming macro/code to allow easy flipping
between image (for fast rendering) and slower/fully modelled thread for 3D
printing / close examination on screen/ potentially FEM.

I may have missed the overall post/thread, but I have seen comments in
various forum addressing how to modelling/displaying threads. I wondered if
an early overall specification + combined effort from developers would bring a
leading function to match the potential of FC.

Best Wishes
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

cadcam wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:22 am Hopefully a little clarification
That's quite ambitious. I think it's too early to discuss this at the moment, simply because that most of the required functionalities are not there yet, like proper texture/bump/parallax mapping support.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

realthunder wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:19 am That's quite ambitious.....
Fully understand, but hopefully ambition isn't completely denigrated, some thoughts

1) Agreed texture mapping may be some way away, but could simple image mapping to a single cylindrical surface
be possible, part of a speed gradient of single colour -> Image map -> texture map -> full thread

2) Again probably not immediately available, but might be worth thinking how to implement
re threads, e.g. how cosmetic/real threads are displayed/used in collision detection. In a number of the commercial
CAD offerings look like a afterthought, which is not helpful re usage

3) Seeing some of the recent progress in other threads about generating helix, options in fasteners WB
am I incorrect in assuming it might be possible to generate a macro that takes a thread specification
and generates the associated additive/subtractive thread form. Having a 'flag(s)' spec'd / agreed early,
to allow switching toggling display modes, might minimising any rewriting in the future.

Best Wishes
RDA

Post by RDA »

Hello,

So I thought about giving Asssembly 3 ago but got stuck immediately. Im running windows 10 and went and grabbed the daily build from yesterday
FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112.7z

Maybe I am missing soemthing but this does not contain freecad.exe in the bin folder, am I missing somehing or should it be there?

I aplogogize if this is a dumb question.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

RDA wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm Hello,

So I thought about giving Asssembly 3 ago but got stuck immediately. Im running windows 10 and went and grabbed the daily build from yesterday
FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112.7z

Maybe I am missing soemthing but this does not contain freecad.exe in the bin folder, am I missing somehing or should it be there?

I aplogogize if this is a dumb question.
The executable is renamed to FreeCADLink.exe in the bin directory.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
lukasubo

Post by lukasubo »

Honestly, I'd contend that having an accurate visual of the thread is secondary. The most important part of a thread in CAD is some indication that it exists (usually an outline) and lines that depict the thread on projected views in drawings.

The method shown in the attached image works for both 3D views and 2D projections of internal and external threads.
thread_symbol.gif
thread_symbol.gif (65.57 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
RDA

Post by RDA »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 pm
The executable is renamed to FreeCADLink.exe in the bin directory.
Thank you Sir
RDA

Post by RDA »

Hmm I have a weird one or maybe not.

So this morning I was able to run your version of freecad but only if I ran it directly from the exe, making a shortcut came up with a bunch of errors starting with python36.dll not found.

Well this afternoon I cant start it even from the folder, I started to try and figure it out and first installed python 3.6 (I had only 3.8 installed). That cleared the python36.dll error but I have more errors about missing files:
xerces-c_3_2.dll
zlib.dll
shiboken2.cp36-win_amd64.dll
pyside2.cp36-win_amd36.dll

Before I start to install all the above, is it really nesessary? I assumed those are related to compiling from source?

Im running on windows 10 64-bit and using FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

RDA wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm Before I start to install all the above, is it really nesessary? I assumed those are related to compiling from source?

Im running on windows 10 64-bit and using FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112
By right, you do not need to install anything in order to run it. I just tried the shortcut thing, you know, by right click FreeCADLink.exe, and select Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). It runs fine. Just a wild guess. Could it be possible that some Antivirus software is in play there? What language are you using? Maybe some space in your path? It usually should just work fine, just maybe.
RDA

Post by RDA »

realthunder wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:02 am
RDA wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm Before I start to install all the above, is it really nesessary? I assumed those are related to compiling from source?

By right, you do not need to install anything in order to run it. I just tried the shortcut thing, you know, by right click FreeCADLink.exe, and select Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). It runs fine. Just a wild guess. Could it be possible that some Antivirus software is in play there? What language are you using? Maybe some space in your path? It usually should just work fine, just maybe.
Thanks for the tips.
So OS language is English US, the path though was/is quite "long" as I just copy pasted the unpacked folder to program files:
C:\Program Files\FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112\bin

I dont have anything special as antivirus so I doubt its about that. I did try to move the folder around but no help, I also changed the folder name to be shorter, no help. I then just unzipped the build again and made a shorter name, it works (C:\Program Files\FreeCADRT\bin).

I then did the same thing as previously, so I just copied the whole long folder to program files and started it, starts fine... BUT there is a small difference. For the "install" in "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210112\bin" if I select FreeCADLink.exe, right click and select "create shortcut" I get an error "Windows cant create a shortcut here. Do you want to place the shortcut to the desktop instead?"

Now doing the same thing from "C:\Program Files\FreeCADRT\bin" works just fine and no complaints.

So my guess is that its somehow related to the path. Maybe during the start its looking up settings etc from even a longer path and that breaks it? I mean because I was able to run it in the morning (I had the issue with shortcut) and then it broke in the evening. So my guess is that I made something to alter startup settings?

Would you mind giving the shortcut thing a try with the same path I have? Im sure if you get the "Windows cant create a shortcut here. Do you want to place the shortcut to the desktop instead?" you will know whats going on.

Thanks again for the help.