Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm
ppemawm wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 pm Place one LCS at first location for first body or fastener. You can then use an Array from the Draft workbench as shown in this example:
as result the array is created outside the model. maybe this is a bug in Assembly 4?
no, it's because Draft doesn't put the resulting array into the Part container where the original object was. There used to be an Asm4_makeArray, that was a wrapper around Draft_makeArray and that did put the array back into the Part container, but it stopped working at some point, and I had to remove it. I will have a look to try to put it back.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Zolko wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:55 pm I will have a look to try to put it back.
Thanks.

Besides this, I reported 2 issues via Github:
https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4/issues
Is this the right place or should I report this in the forum first?

---

Another thing: This thread is way too long and it is hard to follow the different issues discussed about Assembly 4. Do you therefore agree that we open a new forum category Users -> Assembling? There we can open different subforums for the different assembly WBs.

Chris, would that be fine with you too?
chrisb wrote: .
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm only a moderator, not administrator.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:02 pm I'm only a moderator, not administrator.
But that doesn't make your opinion less important. ;)

Who is the forum admin?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Assembly3, Assembly 4, and A2+ have so many posts that they well deserve their own subforums. kkremitzki, wmayer, jmaustpc and yorik have administrator powers (at least).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 pm Assembly3, Assembly 4, and A2+ have so many posts that they well deserve their own subforums.
1) the threads are long, but the traffic is light, I don't think it's really useful to split into subforums

2) if the long-term goal is to make the assembly tools converge, then splitting into subforums send the wrong message
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:12 pm 1) the threads are long, but the traffic is light, I don't think it's really useful to split into subforums
2) if the long-term goal is to make the assembly tools converge, then splitting into subforums send the wrong message
Well, the main point is that only one thread to discuss several topics is hard to follow and lead to confusions.

Subforums are not a special sign. It would just help to focus in different discussions. They can be closed any time later or moved to the attic as archive.
For now the reality is that we have different assembly WBs and for example I won't have time to convert my dozens of existing A2+ assemblies. I'll keep them as they are since they cover real-life projects and and A4 bases on the unreleased FC 0.19. Therefore I cannot hand it over to my colleagues who insist to work only with a "stable" version, which is basically FC 0.18. (You might now roll your eyes, but I understood that for those who are "just users" stability is the most important thing, especially for real-life parts.)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I agree with Zolko's reasoning re: splitting along assembly workbench implementation lines, but what about simply adding a subforum in the Users section for Assembly to go along with this one in the Development section? Not sure it's the solution either, seems to me it should be sufficient to just start some new threads. It's a little late to go back and do thread splitting surgery on this one, but in the future if there are ones that need to be split off shortly after the new topic of discussion opens up, I could certainly do that.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:19 pm I agree with Zolko's reasoning re: splitting along assembly workbench implementation lines, but what about simply adding a subforum in the Users section for Assembly
Fine with me, because all I want is a subforum for assemblies where we can start different discussions. For example some have problem X with Assembly4, others have problem Y with the same Workbench. Therefore it should be possible to have the different issues discussed in each its own thread and every assembly thread should be found in its designated assembly subforum.

There is no need to take care of the existing threads/posts.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:36 pm I use A4 0.9.6. Since this version (compared to A4 0.9.3) I don't get anymore the Edit Placement dialog when inserting a part.
I released a new version 0.9.7 which brings back the old behaviour, and still has the UI in the Task panel.

ppemawm wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:35 pm Also, there are several missing fastener types in Assembly4 compared to the latest revision of the Fasteners workbench, e.g. setscrews, etc. Can these be added please?
yes, done also. The parts are now native Fasteners objects, not pre-created like they were before. The UI is also improved.

If you find problems, please report.