A2+ "Parts where not moved. They are not constrained to a fixed part!"

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alx

A2+ "Parts where not moved. They are not constrained to a fixed part!"

Post by alx »

I don't understand why I'm getting this message when I create any constraint in Assembly 2+:

"The highlighted parts where not moved. They are not constrained (also over constraint chains) to a fixed part!"

FC 18.3
A2+ 0.4.24
Last edited by alx on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: A2+ Parts where not moved. They are not constrained to a fixed part!

Post by Jee-Bee »

Please add your model so we can check whats going on
alx

Post by alx »

I created a simple example that gives me the same error.
Test Assembly2Plus.FCStd
(23.95 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
kbwbe
Veteran

Post by kbwbe »

alx wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:12 pm I created a simple example that gives me the same error.Test Assembly2Plus.FCStd
A2plus is designed to import parts, each one been designed in a separate file. If you import your single parts into a assemby file, you can apply constraints and this will work.

A2plus will not work if you apply constraints to part containers and bodies directly in a PartDesign file.
Please have a look at the tutorial links within my signature, to get the correct idea.
KBWBE

https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus
latest release: v0.4.56, installable via FreeCAD's addon manager
Tutorial: gripper assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxcQ5tssWk
Documentation: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/A2plus_Workbench
alx

Re: A2+ "Parts where not moved. They are not constrained to a fixed part!"

Post by alx »

Yes. It worked. Brilliant thanks. :)

I also got the same message when I forgot to make some planes coincident, so the solver had no idea what to do with a part.
botanicus

Post by botanicus »

Hello !
I have the same problem as alx. If I understood correctly, parts must be imported into separate files ....
As I have already created several (quite complex) bodies in the same FreeCad file, is it possible to copy them separately in several independent files in order to be able to assemble them later in A2 +? How to do ?
Thank you in advance for your help.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

botanicus wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm As I have already created several (quite complex) bodies in the same FreeCad file, is it possible to copy them separately in several independent files in order to be able to assemble them later in A2 +? How to do ?
Basically the files need to be in separate files so if you have 5 bolts in an assembly the bom can report 5 bolts are used. if you upload a file perhaps we can take a look.
Dan
botanicus

Re: A2+ "Parts were not moved. They are not constrained to a fixed part!"

Post by botanicus »

Hello,

Thank you for the answer !
Here is my file, consisting of 4 parts (bodies). "Pieces paralleles", "Bras 1" and "Bras 2" must be duplicated for assembly. I would like to assemble them and then animate the mechanism.

@+
Attachments
Dessin 2D.dxf
(142.97 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Mécanisme articulé.FCStd
(132.32 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

botanicus wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm "Pieces paralleles", "Bras 1" and "Bras 2" must be duplicated for assembly. I would like to assemble them and then animate the mechanism.
Here are the parts back. To create the separate pieces I highlighted the three parts that I did not want and then did a "save as" with the file. I found out that there is not a way to line up the round parts in a slot so I made a rectangle with a hole in it and centered the bra to that. I made the rectangle the same width as the slot. None of the constraints are movable. I'm hoping between this example and the how to do videos you can make it work. When you put the first part in it is "fixed" in space. as long as you add a constraint to a part that has one constraint linked to the first part you should not get the cannot move error.
Dan
Attachments
DXF.zip
(299.14 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
botanicus

Post by botanicus »

Thanks for your help.
I have understood the principle of assemblies well with the constraints of coincidence between surfaces and holes, but I have errors with each action. It's by chance that I get there and in addition some constraints do not remain and I have to come back to them constantly. Now, I cannot position the missing screws: as soon as I validate a position or an angle, it returns to its initial value; impossible to do what I want. I am lost in this software which seemed efficient to me, and I am very disappointed!
Attached is the assembly that I cannot complete. The purpose of this assembly: bring the 2 side pieces together or separate them in parallel by acting on the spacing of the 2 central screws. I cannot fit the yellow ((M3x12-Screw which is too deep) and purple (M3x12-Screw001 which is upside down) screws.
On the other hand, I didn't understand how you saved the different pieces in different files.
Pierre
Attachments
Assemblage 1.FCStd
(154.61 KiB) Downloaded 115 times