Solved: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HopRocket

Solved: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Post by HopRocket »

When I try to use the move object function on A2plus, the object I have selected jumps to my cursor as soon as my cursor enters the active window, after clicking the "move object" icon. I recorded a video of use as mp4 (shrunk to 100 k) but I get an error if I try to attach it, so this pair of screenshots will have to do.
A2plus move object jumps to cursor.png
A2plus move object jumps to cursor.png (461.57 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
This is not the behavior I was expecting.. it would be better if the objects stayed in place until I clicked on them and tried to drag them around.
Any suggestions? I updated A2plus in the addon manager, restarted, and its still the same.
Thanks in advance

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Last edited by HopRocket on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Post by chrisb »

For creating screenshots it is very easy to use the snippet tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

As I've never needed the functionality you request (I just scatter the A2Plus objects somewhere near and then apply the appropriate constraints to take them to the correct location), this is a workaround that I'm sure can be turned into a short-cut key combination instead:

1) Click on the object in Tree view
2) Move cursor over highlighted object in 3D View
3) Press Alt-M keys to open Macro menu
4) Right arrow cursor key to open A2Plus menu
5) Down arrow cursor key x 3 for Move command
6) Return/Enter key to activate Move function

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

A2Plus 0.4.31
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

HopRocket wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:12 am This is not the behavior I was expecting..
It has always jumped. I would agree that if it stayed in place until selected it would be easier to control at times. I'm not sure where to leave a suggestion for improvements.
Dan
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dan-miel wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm... I'm not sure where to leave a suggestion for improvements.
Dan
This, the Assembly forum, is obviously the right place to discuss issues about the Assembly workbenches.

However, since A2plus is an external workbench, it makes sense to directly contact its author, and send requests to the GitHub page of that project.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Further to the workaround I mentioned earlier if you change the file a2p_importpart.py around line 1056 from:

Code: Select all

def GetResources(self):
        return {
            #'Pixmap' : ':/assembly2/icons/MovePart.svg',
            'Pixmap'  : a2plib.pathOfModule()+'/icons/a2p_MovePart.svg',
            'MenuText': 'Move the selected part',
            'ToolTip': toolTip
            }
to

Code: Select all

def GetResources(self):
        return {
            #'Pixmap' : ':/assembly2/icons/MovePart.svg',
            'Pixmap'  : a2plib.pathOfModule()+'/icons/a2p_MovePart.svg',
            'Accel' : "M, P",
            'MenuText': 'Move the selected part',
            'ToolTip': toolTip
            }
This gives you the keyboard shortcut MP. Therefore you can open your assembly file, change to the A2Plus Wb click the object to move in the Tree View, hover your cursor over the object on the 3D view and press the M key followed by the P key and it will activate the move command.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

dan-miel wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm I'm not sure where to leave a suggestion for improvements.
vocx wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:19 pm However, since A2plus is an external workbench, it makes sense to directly contact its author, and send requests to the GitHub page of that project.
Thanks vocx. I hope kbwbe is happy when he is conntacted. :P
HopRocket

Post by HopRocket »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:51 am For creating screenshots it is very easy to use the snippet tool.
Yes, that's what I did. Just pasted them both into paint to make them one image, and shrink size.
Last edited by HopRocket on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopRocket

Post by HopRocket »

Syres wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:02 pm As I've never needed the functionality you request (I just scatter the A2Plus objects somewhere near and then apply the appropriate constraints to take them to the correct location),
I do the same thing for initial assembly. But then I want to make adjustments, and if the object leaps out of place and needs to be dragged back and repositioned, it gets distracting and takes time, and would be a real impediment for large or complex assemblies.
It's not so much that I can't use the software like this, but I want it to improve over time so FreeCad gets more awesome, so I'm reporting the bug/feature.
Last edited by HopRocket on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopRocket

Post by HopRocket »

vocx wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:19 pm
dan-miel wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm... I'm not sure where to leave a suggestion for improvements.
Dan
This, the Assembly forum, is obviously the right place to discuss issues about the Assembly workbenches.

However, since A2plus is an external workbench, it makes sense to directly contact its author, and send requests to the GitHub page of that project.
Ok I contacted kbwbe about this. But aren't all the assembly workbenches in FreeCad external? So shouldn't it be ok to discuss them here in the Assembly forum? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how this place works.