Solved: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Post by vocx »

HopRocket wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:39 am ...
Ok I contacted kbwbe about this. But aren't all the assembly workbenches in FreeCad external? So shouldn't it be ok to discuss them here in the Assembly forum? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how this place works.
Of course it's fine to discuss things here, that's what the forum is for. However, you said it yourself, it's an external workbench. Some authors of external workbenches don't frequent the forum often. Some do, but not all of them. For A2plus, Assembly3, and Assembly4, their authors do frequent the forums. But still, if you want something with that specific workbench, it's not a bad idea to contact their authors directly.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

vocx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:56 am But still, if you want something with that specific workbench, it's not a bad idea to contact their authors directly.
I have thought of sending things but then I think I'm just whining and I hate to bother them with my whine whine, whine. Although I do think my ideas are solid.
Thanks vocx for your push.
Dan
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dan-miel wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:35 am I have thought of sending things but then I think I'm just whining and I hate to bother them with my whine whine, whine. ...
That's how free software works. Once somebody decides to publish something publicly, they expose themselves to public criticism. So, you can criticize and propose whatever you want. It's not whining, as long as you criticize and propose in a respectful manner.

If you have many ideas, it is not bad to discuss them here in the forum; then other people may read them, agree with them, or disagree with them. All of that is helpful for the author to see what the community wants or doesn't want.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
HopRocket

Post by HopRocket »

Ok, so kbwbe replied and helpfully explained that if I double click on the part in the model tree, the (maybe native to FreeCad?) transform tool turns on and I can move the part around without the weird jump behavior. I tried this and it works great. He also said he'd try to fix the behavior in the A2plus workbench move object tool (which maybe just uses the native transform tool?) when he had time. Thanks kbwbe!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

HopRocket wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:16 am Ok, so kbwbe replied and helpfully explained that if I double click on the part in the model tree, the (maybe native to FreeCad?) transform tool turns on ...
It's the Std_Transform tool.
dan-miel

Re: Solved: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Post by dan-miel »

vocx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:08 pm If you have many ideas, it is not bad to discuss them here in the forum; then other people may read them, agree with them, or disagree with them. All of that is helpful for the author to see what the community wants or doesn't want.
I have posted ideas that I would like to submit to see if others might want the same thing. I have also posted macros to show my ideas but I seldom get a response on the idea. usually the macros don't get downloaded so I think that shows what people think of the idea. :D
HopRocket wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:16 am Ok, so kbwbe replied and helpfully explained that if I double click on the part in the model tree,
Thanks for putting this up HopRocket. The parts jumping around was rather irksome .
Dan
vocx
Veteran

Re: Solved: A2plus: move object jumps to cursor

Post by vocx »

dan-miel wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:09 pm I have posted ideas that I would like to submit to see if others might want the same thing. I have also posted macros to show my ideas but I seldom get a response on the idea. usually the macros don't get downloaded so I think that shows what people think of the idea. :D
LOL. Don't give up! :)