New dialogs for assembly constraints

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
project4

New dialogs for assembly constraints

Post by project4 »

Hi ickby,

I really liked the new dialogs for changing the constraints.
Now it's possible to play around with the options until the rendering will show the needed results...

After playing a bit with the options, in most of the cases I didn't see any differences while switching between the options (parallel, equal, opposite, reppend)...
And it looks like there is a bug when you add a coincident constraint and later change it to align, it will still be shown as coincident in the ConstraintGroup folder in the tree view...

As someone wrote here already, I feel like I got confused as well with the difference between the coincident and align options.
As a rule of thumb I see that coincident should be used when faces should touch each other (or be placed on each other in case of round objects like screw and nut), while the align should be used when I want to define that faces look into the same direction or set a distance between 2 faces.

Maybe the logic should be changed to something like:
Collide (normals are always in opposite direction to create the coincident and distance is always 0).
Align (normals are always in the same direction and distance is always 0).
Set distance (normals are always in opposite direction to create the coincident and distance is as specified).
ickby
Veteran

Re: New dialogs for assembly constraints

Post by ickby »

Hello,

thanks for the feedback. The implementation of the new dialog is far from finished, as you have seen yourself :) The two big ideas for the change were to first allow easy and fast switching of constraint to play with the options until the result fits your need. Nice that you already use this :) The second goal was to make clearer what constraints are allowed with what geometry and what option each one has. This is not yet implemented. I want to grey out options for constraints which do not support them. I hope this makes the use of each constraint clearer. And the solution-space buttons next to the value input are currently not used (I finished solver implementation for those yesterday, integration comes today) Also up to now I only changed the GUI, lot's of already reporter solver bugs need still to be tackled.

I have the hope to finish this at this weekend, but as always can't give a real time estimate :) I will leave a message here when it's done and would realy like some extensive testing then.

Regards,
Stefan
dre99gsx

Re: New dialogs for assembly constraints

Post by dre99gsx »

I've been trying to assemble a few dozen parts with little luck using the latest git version. I can offer some feedback once you get another unofficial release for testing.