Automated translation of Docnav?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Automated translation of Docnav?

Post by chrisb »

Is it possible to genrate the translated docnav entries automatically? As far as I can see the links have to be extended systematically with .../LANG, and the translated names are the names of the next/previous page.

Similar holds for GuiCommand.

As it is tedious and error prone to do it manually it would be great to have some automatism, albeit only an educated proposal.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Automated translation of Docnav?

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm ...
As it is tedious and error prone to do it manually it would be great to have some automatism, albeit only an educated proposal.
I don't think it can be automated very easily.

I think Normand was looking into improving multilingual support, particularly with the GuiCommand template.

In general, I dislike the Docnav template, which is used by mario.

The Docnav means you have to add the before and after command in a linear fashion. But if you add a new command that changes the order you need to update the template manually, which is annoying. This makes sense when you are writing a linear manual, but not in general. It makes sense in the pages created in the "Manual:" category, but not anywhere else.

This is why I prefer my navigation templates, like, Draft_Tools_navi. With these templates you can jump to any command of the workbench.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I hadn't noticed that there are different templates. As a translator I have anyway to use what I find.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Hi.
szablon.jpg
szablon.jpg (40.21 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
csm

Post by csm »

Perhaps the "Special:MyLanguage/"-Prefix is a possible solution for automatic translations into target language (at least usable for automatic translated links)...

Please look at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Ext ... nistration -> chapter "markup examples / links"

Another good explanation you'll find here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:How ... nsion.webm (@ ~10:20)

regards
Karsten