Scale SVG images to get them side by side?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Roy_043

Scale SVG images to get them side by side?

Post by Roy_043 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:14 am

Is there a way to scale SVG images so that they appear side by side?
Roy_043

Re: Scale SVG images to get them side by side?

Post by Roy_043 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:57 pm

Meanwhile I have found out that images will appear side by side, provided the browser window is wide enough, if you put them on the same line in the wiki source:

Code: Select all

[[Image:Std_PerspectiveCamera_example.svg]][[Image:Std_OrthographicCamera_example.svg]]
But referring to them with 'left' and 'right' is tricky as they will appear below each other if the browser window is too narrow.
Kunda1

Post by Kunda1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:57 pm
Meanwhile I have found out that images will appear side by side, provided the browser window is wide enough, if you put them on the same line in the wiki source:

Code: Select all

[[Image:Std_PerspectiveCamera_example.svg]][[Image:Std_OrthographicCamera_example.svg]]
But referring to them with 'left' and 'right' is tricky as they will appear below each other if the browser window is too narrow.
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but to ensure that they stay on the same level, you could just make a screenshot of them both in the same frame ?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
vocx

Post by vocx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:57 pm
Meanwhile I have found out that images will appear side by side, provided the browser window is wide enough, if you put them on the same line in the wiki source:...
Images are treated basically like text characters on the screen, they are placed on the same line. If they are too wide, the line is wrapped just like any other paragraph.

What you mention, left, right, etc. Yes, it's not going to be easy to handle unless you do some HTML trickery to keep things static in place, but with websites we don't usually want to do that.

I think this is just one of those things where we need to find a compromise. I think most FreeCAD users should be using the program and reading the wiki using a desktop computer with a relatively large sized monitor, minimum 21 inches in diameter (1080p). So, when I read the wiki or use the program, I target about that screen size.

I think it is not realistic to please everybody and target the software to screens that are 13 inch, or even mobile phones. I don't know if we can do something about that. Maybe there is some extension to Wikimedia that allows automatically scaling images and things of that sort. How does Wikipedia handle it, I wonder.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.