Releasing "Vision_5" toolbar

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bavariaSHAPE

Re: Releasing "Vision_5" toolbar

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

How can I adjust the colors for background and text?

Vision_5_color.jpg
Vision_5_color.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22319 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 33ef4e0e35fba74c6e2fa3829cfd15c4b6f67e94
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I think we all use options a little different. In all the time I have used FreeCAD I have never changed the Style sheet. :)

I will look at that, it seems I need to overide what FreeCAD is doing once something other than "No style sheet" is used.
Thanks
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

freedman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:41 pm I think we all use options a little different. In all the time I have used FreeCAD I have never changed the Style sheet. :)

I will look at that, it seems I need to overide what FreeCAD is doing once something other than "No style sheet" is used.
Thanks
Since I have been using FreeCAD, I have never changed the style Sheet too.
This style sheet gives FreeCAD a more modern look. So I could not resist.
Last edited by bavariaSHAPE on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

There are always mystery. After I started FreeCAD 0.18 once, the GUI changed. This also had an effect on the GUI of 0.19. Now I have a little bit of everyone. And Vision 5 runs again. I will keep it for now and not change anything.

Vision_5_color-2.jpg
Vision_5_color-2.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

This also had an effect on the GUI of 0.19.
I have noticed while using 0.19 that if I open 0.18 and go back to 0.19 some things can change. I tried what you explained and don't get a usable Vision_5.

Kind of busy right now so I'm not sure when I can look into this issue. I do agree that the different styles look better and more modern, easier on the eyes. I will post a test case on the forum, maybe someone can tell me what to do in the code. My guess is I will need to make my own style sheet.
Thanks
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

hmm... on 2nd thought it would be better to export as gif. Then you can display it here (mp4 on github won't display). Or you can upload the mp4s to youtube or vimeo.

Here's a tip: put your macro closer to the model and save time sliding the mouse back and forth.

Also, this macro is a great usecase for realthunder's pie menus, have you seen this?
phpBB [video]
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I updated the first post here so users can watch on mp4 and youtube. I can click and open the videos off of Github. I think the quality is better on the mp4.

The pie menu; While I think it's cool to look at, I don't think it's the best choice to get work done. I don't want to change my thought pattern when I design, I want my tools to be minimal clicks, close, and the button placement easy to memorize. I probably went thru 5+ different approaches to get Vision Page edit to a minimum of buttons and it's still difficult to use, but I can't find a better way. Maybe it's me, but I find the pull-downs, sub-menus, pop-ups windows, spinning menu a distraction from modeling.
Thanks
Last edited by freedman on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Made some changes to Vision_5, if your following this macro you could upgrade:

I made a few code changes because I have been testing with more complex models. Fixed an issue using Part selection and added a test so I don't get an error with Assembly4.

All the files are here:
https://github.com/Freedman-CB1/Macro-Vision

Thanks
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Having watched a couple of video's I would like to try this with some GDML models imported via https://github.com/KeithSloan/GDML
especially the lhcbvelo.gdml CERN model in SampleFiles/CERN but I have never used Macro's and cannot find/see install instructions.

Out of interest why do some people develop things like this as a macro rather than as a Workbench?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

especially the lhcbvelo.gdml CERN model
I don't know what to do with a GDML file. I guess just like you don't know what to do with a macro file :) .

As far as the macro goes, you can create a new macro (via FreeCAD toolbar) and copy the code contents into the new blank file, then run it.
Out of interest why do some people develop things like this as a macro rather than as a Workbench?
It's the time thing. I needed to learn FreeCAD and Python and FreeCAD code structure, by the time I got thru all that the best I could could do is a macro, I feel lucky that I scratched all that together. :)
Also, I found that I spend more of my time changing visualization than modeling so a floating toolbar is best IMO, I want the controls right where I work (see pic).

I will help any way I can.
Attachments
screen_jpg.JPG
screen_jpg.JPG (135.21 KiB) Viewed 867 times