Arch Structure with Base and Tool

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Arch Structure with Base and Tool

Post by Roy_043 »

alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:34 am I think an option to automatically place the profile "Normal to Edge" (without having an actual clone in the document tree) before doing the extrusion could be useful, as in most scenarios, the profile must be perpendicular to the Tool.
I agree that the profile is typically perpendicular to the path (the tool). But how do you propose to handle the position and rotation of the profile relative to the path if there are multiple paths and only one profile?
alafr

Post by alafr »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:15 pm how do you propose to handle the position and rotation of the profile relative to the path if there are multiple paths and only one profile?
The profile Sketch or Face would stay at the origin at all times.

During the recompute of an Arch Structure which uses that profile, a temporary copy of the profile's shape would be created, placed and oriented perpendicular to the path. The copy would only exist as a python/c++ Shape object, not as an actual object in the document tree.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

OK, one problem by one problem
alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:39 am ...

Code: Select all

675  shi = obj.Tool.Shape.copy().makePipe(obj.Base.Shape.copy())
It uses obj.Base which is the Sketch, and not shi, which is the face previously created.

But what I don't understand is why this line is in a for loop: if len(sh) > 1, then the same extrusion will be repeated multiple times: it doesn't make sense...
I guess so you can have several close loop to extrude altogether, like a bunch of columns...
Screenshot from 2020-02-09 23-34-08.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-09 23-34-08.png (197.89 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Screenshot from 2020-02-09 23-34-39.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-09 23-34-39.png (193.34 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:39 am If I replace the line 675 with:

Code: Select all

675  shi = obj.Tool.Shape.copy().makePipe(shi)
it works with the Structure Sketch and Tool.FCStd file. However I will have to do more tests with various placements/sketch orientations to check that it doesn't introduce new buggy behaviours.
I have some finding as you do :)

I have studied ArchWall.getExtrusionData() and tweak some features there. The ArchWall originally does not works very well to exportIFC if it is base on a sketch.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38527
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39060
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 36#p355457

So you may like to try try exportIFC of an ArchStructure base on a multiple close loop wires Sketch.

You may like to submit a PR ? Or ping @Yorik to have a look first ?
paullee
Veteran

Re: Feature requests for Arch Structure

Post by paullee »

alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:56 am It would make it possible to build a complex model with many Structure objects with one single master Sketch. Each Structure element would use one of the Sketch's edges. Currently the workaround that I found is to create a new Sketch for each Structure object, and add the edge from the master Sketch in it as an "external geometry".
Yes, as I explained in last post what i am attempting to do an big complex ArchWall base on complex Sketch :)

EDIT
Seem there are 2 options of :-
  1. same profile like a rectangle + 1 Complex masterSketch as Tool --> 1 complex ArchStructure
    ( same profile automatically extruded along each edges in masterSketch)
  2. 1 profile + Selected Edge at a Complex masterSketch as Tool --> 1 ArchStructure for an edge
    ( So you need n number of ArchStructure for n number of wires in a complex MasterSketch)
alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:56 am The toponaming problem is a big annoyance, and it will be extremely wonderful if it's fixed (especially for Techdraw dimensions!). For the Sketch it's ok as long as I don't delete edges in the master Sketch.
You got it right - do not delete edges in Sketch. Also, do not change any edge into construction mode :)

But somebody and I have argued the typical topological problem should not happened in a Sketch. Every edges are created by user, not generating by any internal shape building mechanism.

With aid of a few peoples most importantly @abdullah (who I have no idea why have not been around since a few months ago suddenly without any sign), I can trace every and each edges (with its Tag) so you build on an edge in a Sketch, it won't change even when you delete an edge or turn some of them into construction edge.
alafr

Post by alafr »

paullee wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm So you may like to try try exportIFC of an ArchStructure base on a multiple close loop wires Sketch.
Arch Structures based on a tool aren't exported correctly to IFC (whether Base is a Sketch or a Face, with or without holes):
IFC_bug.png
IFC_bug.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
If I check "Force export as Brep" in the preferences it exports correctly but the curved faces are triangulated.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:41 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:15 pm how do you propose to handle the position and rotation of the profile relative to the path if there are multiple paths and only one profile?
The profile Sketch or Face would stay at the origin at all times.

During the recompute of an Arch Structure which uses that profile, a temporary copy of the profile's shape would be created, placed and oriented perpendicular to the path. The copy would only exist as a python/c++ Shape object, not as an actual object in the document tree.
This could work, but would be quite restrictive. In a typical steel structure the same profiles can occur rotated and/or mirrored. And in certain cases (corner columns) the position of the profile relative to the path may require X and Y offsets.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 pm
paullee wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm So you may like to try try exportIFC of an ArchStructure base on a multiple close loop wires Sketch.
Arch Structures based on a tool aren't exported correctly to IFC (whether Base is a Sketch or a Face, with or without holes):
IFC_bug.png
If I check "Force export as Brep" in the preferences it exports correctly but the curved faces are triangulated.
Maybe you can help posting in the IFC sub-forum, or simply ping @Bernd here ?

He is working on IFCexport, @Yorik is not alone there :)
alafr

Post by alafr »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:00 pm the same profiles can occur rotated and/or mirrored. And in certain cases (corner columns) the position of the profile relative to the path may require X and Y offsets.
This would still be possible with the current workflow. The new option shouldn't change anything when set to False (by default).

Additional properties (ProfileOffset, ProfileRotation) could also be added to make the new option useful in more cases.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Regarding ifc export, our exporter currently only exports straight extrusions (profile + extrusion vector). we should actually implement swept profile support for those structures with a tool object.e
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

alafr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 pm Arch Structures based on a tool aren't exported correctly to IFC (whether Base is a Sketch or a Face, with or without holes):
Personally, I've never used this. What I would do is create complicated geometrical shapes using the PartDesign Workbench.

Once you have your finished Body, then you can use the Arch Structure command on that Body, to sort of "encapsulate" it. That is, the Arch Structure command can work in two ways: it can create the solid geometry, or it can just convert an existing shape into a structural element. So, for your case, I would use the second method. Use the path and the sketch as you would in PartDesign, and the produce a pipe; then turn the entire Body into a structure.
Last edited by vocx on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.