A bracket for the Axidraw plotter

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
matt_

A bracket for the Axidraw plotter

Post by matt_ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 pm

I just had my first ever part 3D printed, and it came out perfectly. I own an Axidraw plotter:

https://axidraw.com/

The Axidraw is a machine designed to hold a pen and write on paper. Two stepper motors move the pen in the XY position and a small servo motor lifts and drops the pen on the paper. I am in the process of modifying this instrument for use in a research project. My design goal was to replace the bracket on the Axidraw that holds the pen with a bracket to which a bulkhead tubing union could be mounted. The rendering of the part I designed in Freecad is shown below, as well as a photograph of the printed part mounted to the arm of the Axidraw. In the photograph, the bulkhead union has been placed, but I still haven't connected tubing to it. The Axidraw will be coupled to a syringe pump that deposits precise amounts of liquid on the surface. I also uploaded my Freecad file if anyone is interested. It is a very simple part, but I was very happy that it came out perfectly the first time it was printed. Everything fits together exactly as I wanted it to.
nozzle_holder.png
nozzle_holder.png (77.13 KiB) Viewed 455 times
axi.jpg
axi.jpg (274.84 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Attachments
nozzle_holder.FCStd
(113.13 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
matt_

Re: A bracket for the Axidraw plotter

Post by matt_ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 pm

I forgot: I used Freecad version 0.18.4 that has been packaged for the Testing branch of Debian Linux. I used povray to create the rendering from Freecad. I didn't keep track of exactly how much time it took, but I knew absolutely zero about CAD two weeks ago. Starting a couple of weeks ago, I went through the Tinkercad tutorial on the internet, played around a bit with Sketcher, then decided that Freecad was a much better tool for what I wanted to do.