D-SUb connector

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlod

D-SUb connector

Post by carlod »

Finally, after some days of facing with crashing and freezing, I've almost made the model of a D-SUb connector with ver 5010 on winXP.
dsub.JPG
dsub.JPG (79.91 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
file

With this test, I can expose you some comments rising during this work. I think some are already solved..
I have done all with GUI command, so there aren't power user comments. No one line of python scripting was used, but I think would be usefull..
Maybe some of my comments is because of me.. ;)
Thake them as they are, or ignore them..

1. I'm quite sure that freeze occurs when applying equality (most) and dimension contrain on a line with horizontal or vertical constrain.
2. The pocket made with a lot of squares is incomplete and cannot be done because of:
2a. A pattern feature is not yet implemented.
2b. Drawing a lot of lines causing a sketcher perfomance downgrading. When constrains are more than 50 drawing is really slow.
2c. Freezing as per 1.
3. Some other details on the back part not completed because editing the sketches causing freezing as per 1.
4. There is a dotted line in the view as you can see on the above image. Is still there moving or rotating the view.
5. Changing the placement values on the task panel doesn't work. Same for draft move of a sketch.
6. In task panel changing the values can be done only with comma. I often use the point of the numpad which can however used in the input dialog windows.
7. After undo a partdesign operation, I think the last feature must become visible instead of nothing.
8. If I do something wrong, like a too big chamfer that cannot be drawn, the part disappear and there is just an exclamation mark in the tree. More feedback to the user is needed to know what is going wrong.
9. Selection highlighting continues to stop working after editing a sketch.
10. The view of a sketch on a bottom face is inverted.
11. I think the dimensions in the sketch must be allways positive, but this must be discussed.
12. Often if i click on an object to select it, it remain stuck with the mouse, even if I release the button and it's hard to left it.
13. It happens that the blue coords near the pointer became a cloud of blue points but I cannot reproduce this.
14. Sometimes the autocostrain create a tangency to nowhere (already highlighted in another post).
15. The grey color used when creating a geometry isn't too visible.
16. The pad feature fails if the sketch contains more than one closed figure (PAD003 & PAD004). The pocket (POCKET) feature does it.
17. If undo a feature the part lost its hierarchy so can happen that a sketch is no more linked to its reference face.
18. My file is big (1,3 mb), don't you?

Sorry for this long and maybe offtopic post.
You all have my respect.
Carlo
jriegel
Founder

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by jriegel »

2. The pocket made with a lot of squares is incomplete and cannot be done because of:
2a. A pattern feature is not yet implemented.
2b. Drawing a lot of lines causing a sketcher perfomance downgrading. When constrains are more than 50 drawing is really slow.
2c. Freezing as per 1.
Pocket is planed to imprint only one shape. Multiply it will be done by the RectangularPattern Feature, which
I plan for the 0.13
7. After undo a partdesign operation, I think the last feature must become visible instead of nothing.
8. If I do something wrong, like a too big chamfer that cannot be drawn, the part disappear and there is just an exclamation mark in the tree. More feedback to the user is needed to know what is going wrong.
That I will tackeling with the MainPart object, which group a history based modeling and take control on which feature
is active and visibly. Also 0.13 I think.
The view of a sketch on a bottom face is inverted.
The normal (Z+) of the Sketch has to be always the surface Normal. If its not,
its a bug!?
9. Selection highlighting continues to stop working after editing a sketch.
12. Often if i click on an object to select it, it remain stuck with the mouse, even if I release the button and it's hard to left it.
There is still a bug in the new Visual and UnifiedSelection. Im not sure I have time to tackle
that. If Werner has no Idea, I will probably go back to the old visual for the 0.12 realease and
hunt the bug in 0.13 down...
16. The pad feature fails if the sketch contains more than one closed figure (PAD003 & PAD004). The pocket (POCKET) feature does it.
Im in the process to cleaning up the PartDesign features. there fore will be some itches at the moment....
17. If undo a feature the part lost its hierarchy so can happen that a sketch is no more linked to its reference face.
That would be clearly a bug! If you can reproduce it please file a bug report!
Stop whining - start coding!
carlod

Post by carlod »

Happy to read that the issues I've encountered are already known and planned to be solved.
jriegel wrote:
The view of a sketch on a bottom face is inverted.
The normal (Z+) of the Sketch has to be always the surface Normal. If its not,
its a bug!?
Yes the normal direction is correct.
It is easy to show you what I mean with a screenshot.
Create a prism.
Select its bottom surface and create a sketch.
Click on the bottom view button and start drawing.
The image is the result with the view inverted up-down
bottom.JPG
bottom.JPG (33.84 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
It is display orientation problem, not a sketch orientation problem..
One question. It is planned to have a dipslay button to place the view normal to a sketch, even it isn't on the reference planes (X. Y, Z)?

jriegel wrote:
That would be clearly a bug! If you can reproduce it please file a bug report!
When I will found this issue again, I will try to obtain more information and how reproduce it.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Ah, I see.
Its not a Sketch orientation problem. Its the drawing of the datums are wrong on Z- sketches....
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

There is still a bug in the new Visual and UnifiedSelection. Im not sure I have time to tackle
that. If Werner has no Idea, I will probably go back to the old visual for the 0.12 realease and
hunt the bug in 0.13 down...
This is not a bug in the SoFCUnifiedSelection node. What happens is that an event is handled by this selection AND the sketch view provider which may cause strange behaviour. To avoid this you must tmp. switch off the selection mechanism (selectionRole) of SoFCUnifiedselection node. I have reported this to Luke already.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

There are other problems. In PartDesign the selection/preselection highlighting works not at all and there are strange
behavior of when you click and try to rotate on the object. Some events don`t get to the mouse model. After creating
a Pad feature the highlighting is de facto broken.. Its maybe not big of a deal, but I have no time for it and I wouldn't
like to release it at the current state.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

We should stop hi-jacking this thread. But how can I reproduce this failing (pre-)selection? Is the pad in edit mode?