Attaching a dimension?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Martin

Attaching a dimension?

Post by Martin »

Hi,

Another numpty question I'm afraid! I am having trouble attaching a dimension to an object (say a line). Such that, if I change the length of the line the dimension adjusts to reflect the new length.
I suspect that it is something to do with the ALT key? I am using KDE 4.6 on OpenSuSE 11.4. I have tried changing the ALT key role at the KDE level, without success (numerous post pointing to unlocatable locations? Things move so fast!).

However, as I only need to change the role of the ALT key for FreeCAD, is it possible to do that within FreeCAD? To make AltGr=ALT or Shift+Alt=ALT?

Regards, Martin
wmayer
Founder

Re: Attaching a dimension?

Post by wmayer »

Another numpty question I'm afraid! I am having trouble attaching a dimension to an object (say a line). Such that, if I change the length of the line the dimension adjusts to reflect the new length.
Currently we don't have such an intelligent dimension object which updates itself -- at least not that I know.
I suspect that it is something to do with the ALT key?
Why that?
However, as I only need to change the role of the ALT key for FreeCAD, is it possible to do that within FreeCAD? To make AltGr=ALT or Shift+Alt=ALT?
Within FreeCAD you cannot change the role of any keys. All what you can do is defining your own shortcuts for the commands but this is another story.
Martin

Post by Martin »

wmayer wrote:Currently we don't have such an intelligent dimension object which updates itself -- at least not that I know.
Thank you
I suspect that it is something to do with the ALT key?
Why that?
Somewhere in one of the tutorials or documents (can't find it now. Dho.), I thought that it said that that the ALT key constrained the dimension in some way? However, for me, it just changed the application window size.
[/quote]
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Somewhere in one of the tutorials or documents (can't find it now. Dho.), I thought that it said that that the ALT key constrained the dimension in some way? However, for me, it just changed the application window size.
Ah that must be hard-coded in the Draft module. So, it seems to be a clash of key roles?
@Yorik: can you confirm this behaviour and if yes can you solve this or is there a workaround?
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

It's known ALT-key issue. From FreeCAD manual http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... _Workbench
On some desktop systems (ex. Gnome, Kde), the ALT key is bound by default to moving windows on the desktop.
You might need to change that shortcut key in your desktop preferences.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes indeed, it's hard-coded, and indeed it's great time that I abstract all this so it can be changed in user preferences. I'll see if AltGr is detected by coin events...
But at the moment the best way to gain that ability would be to use another key than ALT for moving your windows in KDE (but sorry I cannot help you with how to do that...)
mprowe

Post by mprowe »

yorikvanhavre wrote:Yes indeed, it's hard-coded, and indeed it's great time that I abstract all this so it can be changed in user preferences. I'll see if AltGr is detected by coin events...
Thank you. That would be much appreciated...
But at the moment the best way to gain that ability would be to use another key than ALT for moving your windows in KDE (but sorry I cannot help you with how to do that...)
No matter, I'll keep looking. Things change so often and so quickly that all the references on how to do this seem to be out of date. I'll go and post a question over on the SuSE/KED forums and report back for any other KDE users in the same pickle.

Regards, Martin
mprowe

Post by mprowe »

Have a look at this thread to change the ALT key in KDE:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=97057

Regards, Martin