Cutting an object with skew plane

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlos420

Cutting an object with skew plane

Post by carlos420 »

Hi.

Great project! I am running FreeCAD 0.12 rev5382 installed from packages on 64-bit Ubuntu (Pangolin).

I've been through a few tutorials and I do not see an answer to this yet. Let me give a fully constrained example to make this clear:

Step 1. I have a solid. Let's say it is a 1x1x1 cube made by starting with a square sketch with diagonal vertices (0,0)-->(1,1) and then padding that sketch 1 unit in the z-direction. So the cube has one one vertex at the origin, and the body-diagonal vertex is at (1,1,1).

Step 2. Now I want to cut the cube in half with a construction plane with surface normal (1,1,1) and passing through the point (0.5, 0.5, 0.5). This is a skew plane for construction only, so it must not become part of the physical geometry.

I can do step 1. I need help to do step 2. I need to do this in the GUI, and I will eventually need to script it.

UPDATE: I can solve the related but simpler problem of cutting a cube along a face-diagonal. This is easy, because the construction geometry can be sketched on a face of the cube.
What would really help is a "3D curve" or "space curve" not constrained to a face. How can I do this in the GUI? (I'm pretty sure I can script it.)

UPDATE: I solved this by creating a planar primitive (Part > Parametric > Create Primitive) with a manually specified axis and position, then sketching a rectangle on that plane and padding the rectangle to make a cutting tool. Finally, do a Boolean difference. This works pretty well, but I really need to parameterize the orientation of the cutting plane based on three verices which can move. It would be really nice if I could create a plane plane by specifying three vertices in the existing part. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!
Last edited by carlos420 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Cutting an object with skew plane

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

I confess having a hard time visualizing your cube and plane's placement. What is a "body-diagonal vertex"?

In any case, at the moment you cannot use a plane to cut a solid. So you need to create a second solid which you will cut from the first using a boolean cut in the Part workbench. As there is no workplane utility yet in the Part Design workbench, you can create your second sketch on a standard plane, then change its placement with the Edit --> Placement menu. Be aware that the sketch drives the base feature, if you attempt to change the placement of the feature itself, it will revert to its original position.

O/T: so you're on Precise already? I'm thinking of migrating this weekend. I need to so I can create a Precise branch in the FreeCAD PPA. :)
carlos420

Re: Cutting an object with skew plane

Post by carlos420 »

normandc wrote:Hi,

I confess having a hard time visualizing your cube and plane's placement. What is a "body-diagonal vertex"?
Thanks for your reply!

It's not as bad as it sounds. Instead of looking at a side of the cube, look at it in a "pointy" direction, i.e. the way which would hurt the most if you head-butted it. :)
Now imagine "pushing" a plane past that pointy bit and into the solid. Body diagonal is just the a connecting two maximally distant vertices.

A cube has four body diagonals of equal length, D = SQRT(L^2 + L^2 + L^2) = L*SQRT(3). The simplest to think about connects the origin vertex to (L,L,L).

When I say "body-diagonal vertex, I'm being a bit imprecise. I really mean, the vertex, which together with the currently considered vertex, defines a line-segment which satisfies the definition of body-diagonal. This nomenclature comes from crystallography and point-group symmetry. I've never seen it used by CAD folks, and they always look at me funny, so I suppose I should stop. :)
normandc wrote: In any case, at the moment you cannot use a plane to cut a solid. So you need to create a second solid which you will cut from the first using a boolean cut in the Part workbench. As there is no workplane utility yet in the Part Design workbench, you can create your second sketch on a standard plane, then change its placement with the Edit --> Placement menu. Be aware that the sketch drives the base feature, if you attempt to change the placement of the feature itself, it will revert to its original position.
I figured out how to do it, but I did not know that last bit about being careful not to move the feature directly. Thanks!
normandc wrote:O/T: so you're on Precise already? I'm thinking of migrating this weekend. I need to so I can create a Precise branch in the FreeCAD PPA. :)
Yes. I have a clunker box that I can afford to burn. :) Just a day on, Precise is holding up nicely. I haven't noticed any big changes. There are some nice UI tweaks, not as many as I hoped. I'm still nto crazy about Unity, but it's getting better.

Thanks!