32 or 64 bit versions, one more stable than the other?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
reprappermc

32 or 64 bit versions, one more stable than the other?

Post by reprappermc »

Current version testing: Ubuntu PPA Daily Build, 0.13-git201204280611~oneiric1

After getting frustrated and trying some other CAD programs, I'm back to trying FreeCAD again. The version I was using before trying some Windows$ CAD programs seemed a bit more stable than the current daily version. I did not document the older version I was using, D'oh. I know it was at least 0.13 though)

Most of my uses are in the part design, sketcher tools. With the older 0.13 version I would get selection tool crashes from time to time. Usually closing the file and reopening would fix this. Now with the current version, it seems to be happening more frequently.

The version I'm using now is on a 64bit Ubuntu install. Would the 32bit version be more stable?
reprappermc

Re: 32 or 64 bit versions, one more stable than the other?

Post by reprappermc »

To be more specific in the selection crashes. In the earlier version the crash would generally be in selecting line and planes in a solid part. Rarely did the selection tool in the sketcher crash. Both are crashing fairly often in the recent version though
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: 32 or 64 bit versions, one more stable than the other?

Post by jmaustpc »

There are quite a few issues relating to what you are saying here. As far as FreeCAD is concerned I have not in the past noticed any difference in the 32bit/64bit versions' stability. But I have not been running my 64bit machine for a few months now, for non-FreeCAD reasons.

The stability of FreeCAD and many other applications on your machine can be effected by many other pieces of software though. For example, it is possible that depending on your hardware, your 64 bit drivers may be less stable. For an extreme example, one of my old 64 bit machines (AMD64bit Sempron cpu) has a stupid SIS on board video chip that does not even have a 64bit Linux driver, so I had to put an add in card in it. I later got another computer.

With regards to 0.12 versa 0.13 stability, the difference is just the current development stage of the version. When a new version is close, the old version will get no, or few, new features but an extra effort at finding/squashing bugs, before release and development going into the version. The new version (now 0.13) gets all these extra features and then gets new bugs to, so would likely become less stable.

Having said all the above, if you can find any bug at any time the developers will want to know. As a general rule, what they need is an example of exactly how to get your bug to appear. So step by step instructions that result in a bug could be helpful, as could a fcstd file that causes a bug. Then they can look at what is happening and find the bug.

Jim