Switching between workbenches using Part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Switching between workbenches using Part

Post by drmacro »

Just some comments.

You refer to the electronic parts and wanting separate colors, but can only use Part WB.

I would disagree. It can be done in Part Design WB. This was done with Part Design:
multi_color_cap.png
multi_color_cap.png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
As for the differences between Part WB and Part Design (though not for the faint of heart... ;) ) I asked some questions about it and got some deep answers here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40229
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:18 pm I would disagree. It can be done in Part Design WB.
Can you give a .FCStd file of that part?

As I have never done really anything with FC it is hard to discuss me.
In those my thread I started from PartDesign file (given by someone else) and colored its pins as I wonted and I gave (in the first post) the picture of it - so no problem to get a many colors picture. But my colors were lost when I saved it as .FCStd.
Then from what other people written I understood that in 0.19 you can get PartDesign part with many colors but in 0.18 you can't (as I remember someone said he can, but others that not). May be the key is to add color at right step during design and not at the end.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:18 pm As for the differences between Part WB and Part Design (though not for the faint of heart... ;) ) I asked some questions about it and got some deep answers here:

This forum is a great source of information, but unfortuatelly its scatered around various posts... I'm reading a lot here in the last two months, and learned a lot of things, but from a new user perspective, its very hard to grasp. I know that keeping documentation updated is hard, but wouldn't be better write those explanations on the wiki, then refer these in the forum? Later would be easier to structure the wiki in a more palatable way ;)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

fmluizao wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:49 pm
drmacro wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:18 pm As for the differences between Part WB and Part Design (though not for the faint of heart... ;) ) I asked some questions about it and got some deep answers here:

This forum is a great source of information, but unfortuatelly its scatered around various posts... I'm reading a lot here in the last two months, and learned a lot of things, but from a new user perspective, its very hard to grasp. I know that keeping documentation updated is hard, but wouldn't be better write those explanations on the wiki, then refer these in the forum? Later would be easier to structure the wiki in a more palatable way ;)
My take (and I've been a FreeCAD user for years and a CAD professional for decades before that...so my "take" is tainted. :oops: ) is to some degree I agree with you, but...

In general there are a lot of things at play. The new user "oooh...look at all the shiny buttons" confusion (and in some cases, no design or CAD experience), getting over the hump of how to think in terms of how the CAD package of choice work, how to use how it works to accomplish a design, documentation of functionality (i.e. what button to push to do this or that), ever evolving software, bugs, and other stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Basically the documentation you describe would be nice...but, someone (a team probably) needs to collect it, verify it's correct-ness, and (a very non-trivial) how to maintain it with an ever evolving, moving target.

Even given that working perfectly, new user confusion, how to design (or approach a design) with the tool still requires the user to power through the learning curve. In fact, you need to get to a certain level before a lot of documentation makes sense or being able to form questions.

Even that concepts of parametric modeling and constructive geometry need some level of "grok" before a discussion of when/why Part WB vs. PartDesign WB will make sense. There is a rule of thumb, use one or the other, but not both. But, there are also times when it works and other times when it is the way it works ("it" being what the user may be attempting to create). (As Part Design WB evolves this does appear to be less an issue.)

How the Part WB, Part Design WB, Draft WB, and Sketch WB relate is complicated and the fact that there are overlaps (or in some cases what seems to be overlap) between some WB's is a difficult web to describe, especially, to a new user. Hell, I've been using FreeCAD since like 2014 and almost daily I'm looking at responses (by guru's) here thinking "huh? what's he talking about" and I have to go and actually try it before I see what's being talked about. :o
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

PiotrG wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:21 am

Can you give a .FCStd file of that part?

The only thing to remember with this file is, if you change the color on one of the Body containers you need to mark it for recompute.
Attachments
Capacitor_10uF.FCStd
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm if you change the color on one of the Body containers you need to mark it for recompute.
Thanks. I have downloaded the file (will check later).
I see:
- I need to find what 'mark for recompute' means,
- you wrote 'containers' - I supposed PardDesig part can have only one Body - need to learn.
I'm not asking for any answer now.

I have not yet looked through:
drmacro wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:18 pm I asked some questions about it and got some deep answers here:
But will start from it - soon.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

PiotrG wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 pm ...
- you wrote 'containers' - I supposed PardDesig part can have only one Body - need to learn.
I'm not asking for any answer now....
Read PartDesign Body and Std Part.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

vocx wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 amRead
Thanks.
Probably would be easier to understand if I had some experience using FC, but I don't like doing something don't knowing what I am doing and a circle closes :)
PiotrG

Post by PiotrG »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 pm The only thing to remember with this file is,
I should probably start new thread, but I think it is relatively simple question and connected with file you gave here.
I have checked that your file fulfills all my needs - I can go farther from it, but I can't get myself the file structure like it (this is first time I am trying to do anything in FC starting with File-New). I can get a situation like your file looks after I select in your file a Fusion and delete it. So I have some my name with the same icon as your capacitor and 3 bodies under it. Bodies names ar the same so I suppose I get them the same way.
My problem - how to add these Fusion in the structure over this bodies.
When I read about Boolean operation button in PartDesign it looks that I should have one more Body and being in it I should add all my bodies to list.
When I add Body003 and having it active I press boolean operation I can only add 2 bodies and as result I got Capacitor having Body and Body003 and Body003 having a Boolean (why not Fusion as I selected Fuse operation) with Body002 and Body001. Certainly not the same. I tried many different concepts but all the time I failed.
The other my probably simple problem was - when drawing a sketch for Body001 the previously created Body hided my sketch.
I think how to make that Fusion is the last information needed by me at my beginning level to use PartDesign for what I need. I suppose that with Part I would succeed without help but only suppose.