How to rotate a sketch, using its side as axis?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant

Re: How to rotate a sketch, using its side as axis?

Post by bejant » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 pm

ifohancroft wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:30 pm
Now I need to figure out an easy way to also create such "strips" to the sides, with also 5 degree angle between the "strips".
Make a Sketch of the side view (it probably would have been easier to create the angled pieces that way).
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm

bejant wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm
ifohancroft wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm
1. After I check Apply Incremental Changes, do I hit Apply or Ok?
No, just tick the Apply Incremental Changes..." tick box to True (do this first).

ifohancroft wrote:
2. After I have enabled Apply Incremental Changes (without hitting Apply or OK) I change the Y of the center to -9.525.
I think you want to make Y = 9.525 (no negative sign).

ifohancroft wrote:
3. Then I change the rotation angle but nothing seems to move?! I thought maybe there is no live preview and I need to hit OK,
You should be changing the Attachment Offset using the Placement widget, don;t think I was clear before. In the Placement widget, above the "Apply Incremental Changes..." tickbox, change the Axis to Y and then change the Angle field to whatever angle you need. There is a live preview so you should see the Sketch rotate as you change the Y angle value.

I trued to use your file but got a message: "Cannot compute Inventor representation for the shape of ((the file name)" so I just tried using my own new file.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.19. (dated 2020-01-05)
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Thanks! I'll try that and let you know how it worked out.
bejant wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 pm
ifohancroft wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:30 pm
Now I need to figure out an easy way to also create such "strips" to the sides, with also 5 degree angle between the "strips".
Make a Sketch of the side view (it probably would have been easier to create the angled pieces that way).
I don't think that's possible to do, but I probably failed to explain properly what I am trying to do. I have since realised that the Sheet Metal workbench is best suited for the task, however I can't get it work instead of freezing my PC so I'd love it if there is another way to do what I am trying to, without having to create it a square by square in the Sketcher Workbench.

Let me try to properly explain what I am trying to do so hopefully people can give me advice on what would be the best way to do it and also other ways to do it so I can learn more about using FreeCAD and maybe some advanced techniques I don't know about:

I am experimenting with a curved keyboard switch plate. Basically, I want to create the plate that will hold the switches for an ErgoDox form factor but with the plate being curved at 5 degrees between the switches, so essentially, if I am creating it column of switches at a time, I am trying to create a 19.05mm wide piece where it will be 5 times 19.05mm wide, and there needs to be 5 degree (technically 175) between each square (with the middle square sitting flat) then I need couple more strips like that (some shifted forward, some shorter as they will house less switches) but also have 5 degree bent between the strips as well. Essentially creating something that looks like the bottom part of a ball, but instead of smooth, the walls being created from 19.05mm squares and each 19.05mm square having a 14mm hole in its middle.
I like to make, break & modify stuff via a soldering iron, code or both. https://www.ifohancroft.com
papyblaise

Post by papyblaise » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Ha :!: it's more clear
you can use Draft Array , but you have to find the position of the axle of rotation (X) , I do the sketch001
and Array 5 occures
Attachments
keyboard.PNG
keyboard.PNG (19.1 KiB) Viewed 75 times
drmacro

Post by drmacro » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 pm

I admit I'm having trouble visualizing what you describe. :?

But do you mean something like this:
keyboard.png
keyboard.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Attachments
keyboard.FCStd
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm

drmacro wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 pm
I admit I'm having trouble visualizing what you describe. :?

But do you mean something like this:
keyboard.png
Yeah, it's hard to visualize/describe it. Yes, exactly like this, now with more strips like this to the left and right of this one, with there also being a bent of the same degree between the strips as well.

P.S. The problem I have with the Sheet Metal Workbench may not be just with it, as now I am waiting for the Part workbench to create a sphere and I have been waiting for the past couple of minutes and still nothing (although, it's not filling my whole RAM and all CPU cores as the Sheet Metal Workbench). Currently running this on the latest Linux Stable AppImage from the website.
I like to make, break & modify stuff via a soldering iron, code or both. https://www.ifohancroft.com
papyblaise

Post by papyblaise » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 pm

2cd solution with Sheetmetal
you can't reproduce the square hole
you choise the rigth side of the 1st extrud , click "Bend set radius = 5° , set length = 19 , and if you need set radius = 0.01mm minimum
you have to do that 4 times
Attachments
keyboard.FCStd
(46.71 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
keyboard-1.PNG
keyboard-1.PNG (29.58 KiB) Viewed 69 times