OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dave_w

Re: OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post by dave_w »

OK experts. Another noobie question: When you have a sketch with 2 concentric circles then pad it, it becomes a post with a hole. Three concentric circles doesn't appear to do anything. Four? I haven't tried.

Can I create a post with a shoulder, then a taller post on top, then a hole through both?

Thanks,

Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dave_w wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:18 am When you have a sketch with 2 concentric circles then pad it, it becomes a post with a hole. Three concentric circles doesn't appear to do anything. Four? I haven't tried.
In PartDesign workbench you can have only one nesting level. In Part you can have more, e.g. 5 nested circles:
Snip macro screenshot-342586.png
Snip macro screenshot-342586.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Can I create a post with a shoulder, then a taller post on top, then a hole through both?
You can do that by using several pads and pockets, or in a single step by using an appropriate revolve.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:03 am In PartDesign workbench you can have only one nesting level. In Part you can have more, e.g. 5 nested circles:
Snip macro screenshot-342586.png
You can do that by using several pads and pockets, or in a single step by using an appropriate revolve.
Thanks Chris. I will study this. Here's a picture of what I'd like to do:
Attachments
posts.png
posts.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 631 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You could indeed do the lower post as a revolve, but since you have probably more than one of those I would recommen to make them all as pads to lower height, add the shoulder as another pad (likewise you could pad to full height and add the shoulder as a pocket) and drill the inner hole as a pocket or hole.
Similar approach for the upper part.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:11 am You could indeed do the lower post as a revolve, but since you have probably more than one of those I would recommen to make them all as pads to lower height, add the shoulder as another pad (likewise you could pad to full height and add the shoulder as a pocket) and drill the inner hole as a pocket or hole.
Similar approach for the upper part.
I understand the concept, need to study the implementation. I've tried hundreds of different approaches, which basically has been a good learning process. I think you can see from the progression of my questions that I'm learning a lot.

Thanks Chris.

Dave
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The word pocket makes us think of an internal operation. It's more like a milling operation with unlimited mill ends, here doing an outside edge.
Attachments
mill33.JPG
mill33.JPG (38.16 KiB) Viewed 588 times
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

freedman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm The word pocket makes us think of an internal operation. It's more like a milling operation with unlimited mill ends, here doing an outside edge.
Yes, understood. Thanks!
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

As you can see, I'm making a lot of progress self-teaching FreeCAD. I have another question. As I like to say, when you've tried all the possible solutions and they haven't worked, the only thing left is the impossible. I've created the box in the drawing. I want to change the dimensions, specifically the height shown highlighted in the picture. When the sketch was padded ("Sketch" and "Pad"), that dimension was 30 mm. Examining all of the dimensions in all of those Body parts, there are none that are 30 mm. The closest are "Pocket" which is 18 mm and "Pocket002" which is 12 mm. Originally, "Pad" was 30 mm, but now it is only 5 mm. "Pocket" was originally 28 mm making the base of the box 2 mm thick. "Pocket002" puts holes through the 4 square posts so that shouldn't be involved here.

I assume creating the other objects automatically changed the dimension of "Pad" or "Pocket", and I should be able to change these to change the height. But no. Without changing any Lengths, if I double click Pad, then cancel. My Body has not changed. But if I click OK, again without changing anything, then the picture of my Body is all screwed up. (See picture.) I can only fix this by doing Undo, but I haven't done anything to Undo. ??? If I single click on "Pad" and change the Length property, nothing changes.

This must be another conditional issue that I don't yet understand. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. The 2 pictures were not created with Pocket002 highlighted in the Model tab.
Attachments
box.png
box.png (53.87 KiB) Viewed 491 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Fillet001 shows an error. That means that the 3D view is no longer updated, i.e. it only looks as if it is still in the old state.

Edit: I will try out zoom later.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The normal process is to do all your core work and then the very last step is to add your fillets.