OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post by kisolre »

drmacro wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:04 pm If I'm seeing the saem thing...
Check this thread from here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... id#p377203 Looks like it is solved in latest dev build (019.20310)?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm
Check this thread from here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... id#p377203 Looks like it is solved in latest dev build (019.20310)?
I'm on the daily, so maybe...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

drmacro wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:04 pm
kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am Can you show a screenshot or a video?
If I'm seeing the saem thing...
It appears the auto size is under sizing the grid rather than enclosing the extent of the geometry.
Yes, that is a screenshot. Also, if you grab a corner and drag, the grid comes back until you release the mouse button.

Dave
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm
OK, thanks. I'll wait for the official release.

d.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

This will be my last post here. I just wanted to thank all those who went out of their way to help me:

freedman
chrisb
drmacro
kisolre
MSOlsen65

I ordered my box and lid from Shapeways. I figure making mistakes is part of the learning process (as you've seen from my many questions :-) ). So I'll see how bad it is when I get it back.

In the meantime, I have an antique lamp with a broken bracket. I've moved on to arcs and tangents, and so far I'm figuring it out. Couldn't have done any of this without your help.

THANKS!

And if you ever need help with embedded systems, my specialty, send me a PM.

Regards,

Dave
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

dave_w wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm I ordered my box and lid from Shapeways.
Show us the result in "User Showcase". Also before committing a design feel free to ask in "Open discussion" for review, advice, suggestions... :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Glad to hear you made it! And glad to see you are encouraged to go further on your own. Ask back if you et stuck again, then no longer being a complete newbie.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

I said I wasn't going to post here again, but I just posted my design to the User Showcase.

I am really happy about how my box turned out.

Thanks to all of you!!!

Dave
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I used file-merge and put the box and lid in the same file (attached), not sure if that's what you wanted. Normally a complete box would be two bodies, box and lid in the same file because the fitting of the lid is so intergrated with the box.
Attachments
Box7.FCStd
(324.85 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

freedman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:45 am I used file-merge and put the box and lid in the same file (attached), not sure if that's what you wanted. Normally a complete box would be two bodies, box and lid in the same file because the fitting of the lid is so intergrated with the box.
Thanks freedman. That's one of the things on my "have to learn how" to do list. Haven't gotten their yet. But being careful, I was able to make the 2 bodies match perfectly in separate parts.

Dave