OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dave_w

Re: OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post by dave_w » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 pm

Hmmm... Good eyes. I didn't even notice that. Deleted all the fillets, body didn't change. Now get an error on a pad, but not sure what that is.

Gotta spend time on this. Maybe do the same thing, start from scratch and step through, but paying much more attention to errors. And doing fillets last.

Thanks.

Dave
dave_w

Post by dave_w » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:35 pm

OK, started from scratch and rebuilt my box. Got back to where I wanted to be with smaller height, and finally fillets. No errors. Still could not change the height by selecting Pad then reducing the size. Looks like something I'll figure out sometime, but not a roadblock now.

Still moving on with learning new things, so lots more to do in the meantime...

Thanks!

Dave
freedman

Post by freedman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 am

Here is a quick example, I didn't make any constraints. Kind of got it close so it might give you some ideas. There is probably 5 different ways to make a box and lid.
Attachments
box55.JPG
box55.JPG (55.11 KiB) Viewed 157 times
box55.FCStd
(45.13 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
drmacro

Post by drmacro » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Yes, there are many ways to do boxes.

A little over a year ago Andreas Speiss did a Youtube video on a parametric project box that he did with Fusion. Many viewers responded that OpenSCAD, and others could do similar things. He then opened up his parametric box on his github page and invited others to add their version in their favorite CAD program.

Here is the link to my version in FreeCAD:
https://github.com/macdroid53/Project-Box-Templates

Note: I would update A LOT if I were to readdress this. But, I got tired of failed prints and waiting for project boxes when custom boxes weren't required. So, I order various sizes for pennies online. I then modeled them in detail and, in combination with the KiCAD WB, just use generic boxes and cut holes per each design. So, I can get the board in a box in minutes rather than hours (and maybe a failed print or two... :P )
dave_w

Post by dave_w » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:35 pm

freedman wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 am
Here is a quick example, I didn't make any constraints. Kind of got it close so it might give you some ideas. There is probably 5 different ways to make a box and lid.
Thanks freedman. I've progressed this far, though not using arcs. I'm on to a new hang-up I'll post in a minute...
dave_w

Post by dave_w » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Here's my new area of confusion. I can create a rectangle in a sketch on the x-y plane, then pad it. That creates a solid box. I can then create another sketch on the x-y plane then pocket that. If I pad to (for example) 10, then pocket to 8, I get an open box that is 8 deep with a bottom thickness of 2. That process all sounds right to me, but let me know if I've got it wrong.

Next, I want to pad surfaces of the inside of the box to some level, lets say 5. Starting again on the x-y plane with the inside surface of the box selected, I can create a shape and pad. But if I want the pad to be 5 higher than the inside of the box, I have to pad to 7. The pad outline is shown on the bottom surface of the box, not the inside surface. OK, maybe that's not bad, I don't know. I think it would be better to pad from the surface I want rather than the bottom of the box.

Now lets say I want to put a hole (pocket?) on the top of the 5 (7) high surface. I assume I need to select that surface, draw my new shape, then do a pocket. But my pocket shows from the bottom surface, not the surface which is now 7 from the bottom.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Dave
chrisb

Post by chrisb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 pm

This makes calculations sometimes a bit easier: Make the first box with two lengths, so that the inside of the bottom is at height 0. For the holes at the the top of the posts there is a very easy but not recommended way and the right way:
easy: Select the top of the post and create a sketch
good: create a DatumPlane and raise it by 5. Then sketch on the DatumPlane.
freedman

Post by freedman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 pm

You could attach a datum plane to the inside bottom of the box, this gives you a platform to work from. You can attach multiple sketches to a datum plane so you can build towers ( with a sketch) and then pocket a hole in the tower (with a sketch) and then lets say a counter bore on the pocket (another sketch). All sketches based on the datum plane. If I wanted a pocket for a screw in the tower then I might offset my sketch so the screw hole only pockets the upper portion of the tower.

If you seem to be drawing from the wrong side then close the sketch, select the sketch in the tree and change the state of "map reversed" in the attachment window, then open the sketch again.
dave_w

Post by dave_w » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 am

Chrisb and freedman,

OK, I understand. I'll have to play with this a little.

BTW, I did try to select the top of the post as the surface and that's what didn't work. Let me try datum planes.

THANKS!

Dave
dave_w

Post by dave_w » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:16 am

Chrisb and freedman: Thanks for the tips. The datum planes are doing exactly what I'm trying (and learning) to do. I will continue to learn more.

There is one thing that bothers me about FreeCAD that I'm guessing is not how I use it but an anomaly. (I'm hoping you'll prove me wrong.) During my learning process and as I try new things, I have two documents open. I'm working away in one sketch and want to look at a sketch in the other design. So I just select the tab of the other design then open a sketch there. But when I switch back to the working design, it is still in the sketch screen except it shows the body not the sketch. To see the sketch, I have to close it then re-open it. The same thing happens if I go back to the other design. It appears that when switching designs FreeCAD remembers which element of the body is open, but displays the whole body instead of that element (in this case, a sketch).

Am I right?

Thanks again.

Dave