Export Individual Shapes as an STL

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Export Individual Shapes as an STL

Post by drmacro »

ldboehm wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:14 pm Please try the bar parts and let me know what you get.
Some bars I'm able to get if I click multiple times.
Left Bar 1, I cannot get it to work.
When I tried it Left Bar 1 wouldn't fillet. Others seem ok.

No indication of strangeness in Dependency and no errors in Check Geometry.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ldboehm

Post by ldboehm »

Re-creating the bodies that were a problem and doing the fillets before moving on to the next body seems to resolve the issue.
If I create all the bodies, shapes, and pads, then go back and add fillet/chamfers after seems to be more problematic
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

The issue is that that specific body has its Display mode as Tip. This displays the geometry of the body, which is duplicate of the geometry of its Tip. But is not the Tip feature. So selecting an edge selects Body001.Edge003 and not Body001.Pad005.Edge003. Thys the fillet does not which is its parent feature and does not succeed. Activate Selection View (View/Panels/Selection view) to check what gets selected.
DisplayMode.JPG
DisplayMode.JPG (84.67 KiB) Viewed 422 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kisolre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:35 pm The issue is that that specific body has its Display mode as Tip. This displays the geometry of the body, which is duplicate of the geometry of its Tip. But is not the Tip feature. So selecting an edge selects Body001.Edge003 and not Body001.Pad005.Edge003. Thys the fillet does not which is its parent feature and does not succeed. Activate Selection View (View/Panels/Selection view) to check what gets selected.
Wouldn't have guessed to check that.

Normally the tip is the last feature added to the tree, right? Unless it's changed for some reason.

In a multi body situation like this, does the tip at the end still hold true?

What dose the tip actually mean in this case...or anytime, for that matter?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

"Tip" is the feature from which the Body derives its Shape. When you select the body and export it what is exported is the Tips shape. Also "Tip" is the parent for the added features. By changing the tip you can add features in the middle of the Body tree. Just don't forget to later change it back to the last feature.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kisolre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:49 pm "Tip" is the feature from which the Body derives its Shape. When you select the body and export it what is exported is the Tips shape. Also "Tip" is the parent for the added features. By changing the tip you can add features in the middle of the Body tree. Just don't forget to later change it back to the last feature.
Um...trying to understand the implications.

I built the attached file.

Neither Body was created with Tip set (i.e.I clicked on the new body icon and the default was through.)

So then went back displayed Pad001 and selected the top face and added a sketch. It was added after Pad003 as Sketch004.

Assuming it didn't get added in the middle because I had not set tip, I then set Body to Tip.

At which point I could only see the final shape and could not display an earlier Pad to allow a face selection.

So, couldn't add anything in the middle... :?

School me please.
Attachments
TipsTree.FCStd
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

PartDesign_MoveTip
The Tip is marked with small down arrow in green circle. Display mode is a View property of the body that sets what geometry is displayed.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Body#Tip
and
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Body#View
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kisolre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm PartDesign_MoveTip
The Tip is marked with small down arrow in green circle. Display mode is a View property of the body that sets what geometry is displayed.
and
Thanks, had to read the links a couple times and toggle things a LOT, but I think I see. :idea:
ldboehm

Post by ldboehm »

drmacro wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:50 pm
kisolre wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm PartDesign_MoveTip
and
Thanks, had to read the links a couple times and toggle things a LOT, but I think I see. :idea:
I have come across that before. It is an issue between using FreeCAD on Mac vs PC.
I an normally on my Mac, but last night I did some editing on my PC, then saved it back to a file and used my Mac to finish it.
For some reason when saving on PC then opening on Mac, Display tip is toggled.