[SOLUTIONS - for workflows ] HowTo:

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Did you find a SOLUTION in this topic? Please, mark the cathegory of useful answer.

I found a solution here
No votes
I the solution found here is not clear
50%
The needed solution is not listed in this topic
50%
I left a reply about my opinion in the thread.
No votes

Total votes: 2
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: [SOLUTIONS -for beginners ] HowTo:

Post by ppemawm »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:09 pm If I understand it right this is meant for beginners...
I too would not recommend this post for beginners. I appreciate the effort, but IMO the directions are overly complex, not logical, cursory, and hardly understandable by even experienced users. If I was a new user and saw this post it would probably scare me away.

There are better guidelines in the Wiki. Remember that only 10% of the software is required for 90%
of the tasks in basic parametric modelling. It is only that 10% that should be in focus.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

[CONSIDERING GIVEN RECOMMENDATIONS]:
1. I would rename the topic to kind of " Workflows and solutions registry"
2. Reformat and rename posts and after that rework the header topic.
3. I feel that there is a need to form a general "map of difficult use-cases" (with the respected help of the Community), and then to reformat the 4.5 4. header post to relevancy with it.
5. Maybe, start a parallel topic that will contain only the essence about work-flows and solutions. But all public questions and comments will be made in this thread.

There are general areas where difficulties arise:
1. lack of the geometry concept knowledge/comprehension
2. not intuitive usage of FC tools
3. lack of elementary knowledge about FC (not read, not understood by user, not documented )
4. workaround needed due to absence of an "elementary" tool for natural geometry operation.
5. FC program bugs[/list]

As Roy_043 suggested - have tried to use tags, but what I got is...
  1. numbered line 1
    numbered line 2
    numbered line 3
  • line 1
    line 2
    line 3
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Smiling_user wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 am As Roy_043 suggested
If you quote my message you can see how it works. You have to use the '*' button or type '[*]' to start a new list item.

Code: Select all

[list=1]
[*]Item 1
[*]Item 2
[/list]
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Smiling_user wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 am [CONSIDERING GIVEN RECOMMENDATIONS]:
1. I would rename the topic to kind of " Workflows and solutions registry"
2. Reformat and rename posts and after that rework the header topic.
3. I feel that there is a need to form a general "map of difficult use-cases" (with the respected help of the Community), and then to reformat the 4.5 4. header post to relevancy with it.
5. Maybe, start a parallel topic that will contain only the essence about work-flows and solutions. But all public questions and comments will be made in this thread.

There are general areas where difficulties arise:
1. lack of the geometry concept knowledge/comprehension
2. not intuitive usage of FC tools
3. lack of elementary knowledge about FC (not read, not understood by user, not documented )
4. workaround needed due to absence of an "elementary" tool for natural geometry operation.
5. FC program bugs[/list]

As Roy_043 suggested - have tried to use tags, but what I got is...
  1. numbered line 1
    numbered line 2
    numbered line 3
  • line 1
    line 2
    line 3
I'm sorry, but this doesn't change my previous comments and I agree with @ppemawm comments.

This may work for you, but I only see a large collection of random topics that would intimidate and confuse a new user. In addition, I agree with @christ and others that your descriptions, because you have decided to run a marathon before learning to stand, can be misleading.

This appears to be a list of your notes, that are perfectly clear to you, but are completely out of context for someone other than you.

Put it all in your own wiki page or a pdf and reference it if/when you see fit when answering questions by linking to specific pages/topics that address a specific question. And the pages/topics should clear explanation of the issue being addressed with simple examples showing the issue and further simple examples of the fix/workaround or proper procedures.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Grateful for your replies and time spent...
Gone (from this topic) for digesting all the stuff for some time...
Smiling_user

Re: [SOLUTIONS - for workflows ] HowTo:

Post by Smiling_user »

[4. WB-Sketcher-works] // tested in FreeCAD 0.19_pre
TASK: guideline -> profile
1. Attaching sketch to entity
Have a sketch, select an edge, press [map a sketch to face] -> get a selection menu pop-up -> select sketch by name -> select attachment mode:
-- normal to edge
-- InertiaCS ( normal to the middle of edge)
Done: the sketch will be attached to the position of the edge
The edge can be any line: from sketcher, or Draft or an edge from body.
Work-Flow optimisation: no need to make repetitive sketching: make a copy of existing sketch and attach it to selected guideline.
Usage: use with Sweep(Part, PartDesign), Pad(PartDesign) -> get a profile, sweeped along the selected edge
See also: bidirectional Pad

2. Bidirectional Pad
If there is a sloped end of profile:
WBPartDesign:
-- attach a sketch to edge at intertiaCS (see description 1. in this post)
-- Pad Sketch "to face" one side
-- Select sketch from inside the first pad and Pad that Sketch "to Face" - to opposite side
-- If needed -> goto Object Properties refine:=true - this will remove the line of boundary between two pads.

## GOTO header post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 09#p421709
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Smiling_user wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:32 pm [4. WB-Sketcher-works] // tested in FreeCAD 0.19_pre
TASK: guideline -> profile
1. Attaching sketch to entity
Have a sketch, select an edge, press [map a sketch to face] -> get a selection menu pop-up -> select sketch by name -> select attachment mode:
-- normal to edge
-- InertiaCS ( normal to the middle of edge)
Done: the sketch will be attached to the position of the edge
The edge can be any line: from sketcher, or Draft or an edge from body.
Work-Flow optimisation: no need to make repetitive sketching: make a copy of existing sketch and attach it to selected guideline.
Usage: use with Sweep(Part, PartDesign), Pad(PartDesign) -> get a profile, sweeped along the selected edge
See also: bidirectional Pad

2. Bidirectional Pad
If there is a sloped end of profile:
WBPartDesign:
-- attach a sketch to edge at intertiaCS (see description 1. in this post)
-- Pad Sketch "to face" one side
-- Select sketch from inside the first pad and Pad that Sketch "to Face" - to opposite side
-- If needed -> goto Object Properties refine:=true - this will remove the line of boundary between two pads.

## GOTO header post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 09#p421709
This has no context. It appears to be a bunch of personal notes that are clear to you, but anyone else has no reference to what your writing about.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

DrMarco,
Personal notes, clear to me that's right.
And they appear at no predicted order - as my experience goes.
Also, I not yet managed to reformat the heading...

But, why they these notes are not clear to anyone else - I do not understand yet.

I want this to become a short read-and-do reference to solutions.

The current vision of the final is approximately:
// Please, excuse, I stepped back from using list tags, for it is too time consuming.

TOC:
* How to make a guide-lines based construction
-- PartDesign approach (Bodies -> Sketches Planes -> Pad, Sweep, Loft )
-- A2Plus approach ( MasterFile of guide-Lines (sketches/Drafts) -> import to assembly file + import separate details )
-- Draft/Arch approach ( not yet clear to me... )
-- Flamingo/DODO approach ( not yet used in a workflow )
* How to make parametrized model
-- Calculations approach (Spreadsheet, DynamicData Object)
-- GuideLines approach
* Getting a 3D Body out of guide-lines
* Bodies modifications
-- Splitting bodies in parts
-- modifying the shape
-- boolean operations
* Positioning
-- modifying position
-- Snapping to objects ( GuideLines, other bodies etc.)
-- Positioning with A2Plus

* A2Plus Experience, proven practices.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

drmacro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pm This has no context...
Can you please avoid quoting entire posts? You do it all the time and it's extremely annoying to read because one must scroll a lot to find the new answer.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

vocx wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:43 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pm This has no context...
Can you please avoid quoting entire posts? You do it all the time and it's extremely annoying to read because one must scroll a lot to find the new answer.
It is extremely hard to delete the unnecessary junk on a tablet with fat fingers and small screen keyboard without clobbering the quote tags and having to start over. Even selecting a portion before quoting is frustratingly inaccurate.
I'm terribly sorry it bothers you, when I'm on a computer I try to delete the unnecessary stuff...but, I've been on tablet only this week.
:oops: