Making Grid Useful

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Making Grid Useful

Post by wmayer »

Actually the ViewProvider2DObject does nothing else that adding a grid (and its management) on top of ViewProviderPart.
So couldn't be a solution that Draft objects inherit ViewProviderPart instead of ViewProvider2DObject ?
Yes, but Part2DObject is heavily used in Draft and the associated view provider is ViewProvider2DObject. So the easiest is to basically rename the current ViewProvider2DObject to ViewProvider2DObjectGrid and add an empty ViewProvider2DObject instead.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm Yes, but Part2DObject is heavily used in Draft and the associated view provider is ViewProvider2DObject. So the easiest is to basically rename the current ViewProvider2DObject to ViewProvider2DObjectGrid and add an empty ViewProvider2DObject instead.
Indeed. Would that be possible instead to rename ViewProvider2DObject to ViewProvider2DGrid and add an empty ViewProvider2DObject.
I.e I guess your proposal is :

Code: Select all

Part <- 2DObject <- 2DObjectGrid <- Sketch
While I'm thinking about :

Code: Select all

Part <- 2DObject <-\
                    |- Sketch
            Grid <-/
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

git commit da5bd6594

Technically more elegant would be to implement the grid handling as an extension but this is much more work and changes the XML layout of GuiDocument.xml so that achieving backward compatibility is more difficult.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:50 pm git commit da5bd6594

Technically more elegant would be to implement the grid handling as an extension but this is much more work and changes the XML layout of GuiDocument.xml so that achieving backward compatibility is more difficult.
Great, thank you. I'll test it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Make sure to also fetch git commit 6cf5119b5. I forgot a few changes before pushing the previous commit.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

wmayer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:14 pm Make sure to also fetch git commit 6cf5119b5. I forgot a few changes before pushing the previous commit.
Quickly tested right now, works great. Nice to see the View properties more tidy.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

openBrain wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:10 am :? Just read the first answer of the topic you pointed...
I have downloaded "FreeCAD_0.19.22209_x64_LP_12.1.6_PY3QT5-WinVS2015.7z"
and extracted it. I clicked on "FreeCAD.exe"
and received the error message "12:04:11 <string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'Show.TempoVis"

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22209 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9c3f9b72a82249d5fcf1f543dd69a78740251b26
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/New Zealand (en_NZ)

First the good news. :D Thickness seemed to operate better. I think it has responded to the thickness setting of 5 where version 18 ignored it and would only give a wall thickness of 1 mm.

Now the not so good news. :? In Sketch004 I cannot select the red dots at the corners of my construction rectangle so that I can position the rectangle.

How do I fix this?
Attachments
A-Frame Airbag Jig Test.FCStd
(164.88 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Vagulus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:43 am In Sketch004 I cannot select the red dots at the corners of my construction rectangle so that I can position the rectangle.
Is this only with Sketch004? What is your Preferences->Display->Colors->PickRadius set to? Try increasing it. You can try to coompletely reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

Changing the pick radius from 5 to 10 pixels seems to have done the trick.
Thanks
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Vagulus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:43 am I clicked on "FreeCAD.exe"
and received the error message "12:04:11 <string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'Show.TempoVis"
IIRC, resetting your configuration as chrisb said should clean this error.