newby needs help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rosen71

newby needs help

Post by rosen71 »

Hi there,

As completely new to FreeCad, I am learning the first steps thru all available tutorials, but got stuck with an issue I couldn't resolve.
Here is the situation:

I draw (Psrt Design) two figures. Let's say 2 squares with different sizes.
What I need is to put the smaller square, rotated at 45o angle, in the center of the larger square.
The socind isuue is how I can make the corners of the square to be round (with 3mm radius).

Your help will be highly appreaciated :)
test_1.jpg
test_1.jpg (464.19 KiB) Viewed 539 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: newby needs help

Post by chrisb »

For the square: You can switch the inner square to construction lines and place the corners in the middle of the construction lines using symmetry. Perhaps you don't even need the construction square, and use the outer points for the symmetries.

Sketcher has a fillet tool, which creates the necessary tangents, you only have to add the radii.

Besides that, you sketch is poorly constrained. You should prefer geometric constraints over dimensions. Repeating the same dimensions obscures the geometry behind and is prone to fail in case you have to change something.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

draw the profile centered on the UCS, it will be easier
for the inner square, use the tool "Create a regular geometric figure" that you center on the UCS
Attachments
carré centré.FCStd
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
carré centré.PNG
carré centré.PNG (17.19 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Why are you drawing all of something which is so obviously symmetric?
fcaduser

fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

+1

Something strike me. The intrinsic geometrical propreties a lot of parts have is often underused. It should be a general advice : "Detect symmetries and linear/polar nets. It's always a saving."
And here, it's blatant.
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:42 am For the square: You can switch the inner square to construction lines and place the corners in the middle of the construction lines using symmetry. Perhaps you don't even need the construction square, and use the outer points for the symmetries.

Sketcher has a fillet tool, which creates the necessary tangents, you only have to add the radii.

Besides that, you sketch is poorly constrained. You should prefer geometric constraints over dimensions. Repeating the same dimensions obscures the geometry behind and is prone to fail in case you have to change something.

thank you for your answer, but I didn't get any idea what tio do, except the tangetnts.

You see the figure I am trying to draw, and I would be happy if can get a step by step guide.

On anothe note, I have a lot of drawing made in CorelDraw, which I can export in appropriate format (SVG), and once imported, i can't do anything with them.
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

Dear,
I am completely new in this, and for you it may seems to be simple, but for me it is not.

I believe that step by step instruction woyld be better.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Have a look at this file:-
sym.png
sym.png (29.84 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Attachments
SYM_Bance.FCStd
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

@rosen71
57540_9_photo1_g.jpg
57540_9_photo1_g.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 443 times
I perfectly understand that you are a newbie. My point was, before we can of course provide you a step by step explanation for a specific sketch, I invite you to develop the reflex i have mentioned.

Do you see the picture, for example ? There are two underlying polar nets, and imagine how tedious it would to sketch everything !
Last edited by fcaduser on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

Bance wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 am Have a look at this file:-

sym.png
Thank you, but the dimensions are not correct.
Anyway, I have the drawings imported from CorelDraw in SVG format, but I don't know how do anything with them in FreeCad.
test_1.FCStd
(152.92 KiB) Downloaded 9 times